A General Method to Create Lorenz Models
There are currently about two dozen Lorenz models available in the literature for fitting grouped income distribution data. A general method to construct parametric Lorenz models of the weighted product form is offered in this paper. First, a general result to describe the conditions for the weighted product model to be a Lorenz curve, created by using several component parametric Lorenz models, is given. We show that the key property for an ideal component model is that the ratio between its second derivative and its first derivative is increasing. Then, a set of Lorenz models, consisting of a basic group of models along with their convex combinations, is proposed, and it is shown that any model in the set possesses this key property. Equipped with this general result and the model set, we can create a range of different weighted product Lorenz models. Finally, test results are presented which demonstrate that there may be many satisfactory models among those created. The proposed method can be generalized by finding other models with this key property.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/research/papers/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwang Soo Cheong, 2002. "An empirical comparison of alternative functional forms for the Lorenz curve," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 171-176.
- Ogwang, Tomson & Rao, U. L. Gouranga, 2000. "Hybrid models of the Lorenz curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 39-44, October.
- ZuXiang Wang & Russell Smyth, 2007. "Two New Exponential Families Of Lorenz Curves," Monash Economics Working Papers 20-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- ZuXiang Wang & Yew-Kwang Ng & Russell Smyth, 2007. "Revisiting The Ordered Family Of Lorenz Curves," Monash Economics Working Papers 19-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Chotikapanich, Duangkamon, 1993. "A comparison of alternative functional forms for the Lorenz curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 129-138.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mos:moswps:2009-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.