The economics and empirics of the allocation of public consumption expenditures
The paper investigates the allocation of public consumption expenditures in the UK. After reviewing the empirical literature on the demand for public services, which is based on applied consumer analysis, it discusses the budgetary making process in the UK. It proceeds by estimating a system of demand equations for general government consumption expenditures in the UK during the period 1963-96. In addition to estimating the effects of relative prices, total expenditure and demographic variables, it finds that the constraints of homogeneity and symmetry cannot be rejected.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 02 50321522
Fax: +39 02 50321505
Web page: http://www.demm.unimi.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tridimas, George & Winer, Stanley L., 2005. "The political economy of government size," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 643-666, September.
- Jean-Yves Pitarakis & George Tridimas, 1998. "The allocation of public consumption expenditure in the UK," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 197-200.
- Dunne, J. P. & Smith, R. P., 1983. "The allocative efficiency of government expenditure: Some comparative tests," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-3), pages 381-394, January.
- Peter C. Coyte & Stuart Landon, 1990. "Cost-Sharing versus Block-Funding in a Federal System: A Demand Systems Approach," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(4), pages 817-38, November.
- Deacon, Robert T, 1978. "A Demand Model for the Local Public Sector," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 184-92, May.
- Tridimas, George, 2001. " The Economics and Politics of the Structure of Public Expenditure," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 106(3-4), pages 299-316, March.
- McMillan, Melville L & Amoako-Tuffour, Joe, 1988. "An Examination of Preferences for Local Public Sector Outputs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 45-54, February.
- Romer, Thomas & Rosenthal, Howard, 1979. "The elusive median voter," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 143-170, October.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521622912 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521021807 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barten, A. P., 1969. "Maximum likelihood estimation of a complete system of demand equations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 7-73.
- Dunne, John Paul & Pashardes, Panos & Smith, Ronald P, 1984. "Needs, Costs and Bureaucracy: The Allocation of Public Consumption in the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 1-15, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mil:wpdepa:2006-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.