Equivalence scales and consumption inequality: a study of household consumption patterns in italy
This paper utilises unit record survey data on expenditures and incomes of Italianhouseholds of different demographic profiles to estimate consumption equivalence scales whichmeasure the relative levels of spending required by households of different composition to attain givenlevels of utility. The equivalence scales have been obtained from the parameters of a few alternativeversions of a rank 3 complete demand system with demand shifters. Among the demographic variablesincluded in the models, the type of housing tenure and the age of children have special relevance. We have also computed the expenditure elasticities for the most common types of households and analysed how deflating expenditure with the equivalence scales affects consumption inequality amonghouseholds. The analysis is developed within the framework of hypothesised utility maximising behaviour of households.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 02 50321522
Fax: +39 02 50321505
Web page: http://www.demm.unimi.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Ray, Ranjan, 1983. "Measuring the costs of children : An alternative approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-102, October.
- Muellbauer, John, 1975. "Aggregation, Income Distribution and Consumer Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 525-43, October.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Michelini, Claudio, 1999. "The estimation of a rank 3 demand system with demographic demand shifters from quasi-unit record data of household consumption," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 17-24, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mil:wpdepa:1999-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.