Macroeconomic Effects of Information and Communication Technologies in Turkey and Other OECD Member Countries
This paper investigates the effects of ICT on economic growth in Turkey and other OECD member countries. After discussing the theoretical relationships between ICT usage and economic growth, we test the positive impact of ICT revolution on economic growth econometrically. In the empirical part of the study, we perform panel data analyses by employing data sets that belong to 30 OECD member countries for 1999-2008 period as well as carrying out time series analyses for only Turkey by using data between 1980 and 2009. We find out that ICT usage and production have a positive significant effect on economic growth in OECD case. However, due to some methodological difficulties and insufficiency of critical mass regarding ICT area and complementary physical and social infrastructures in Turkey, we cannot find any significant relationship between ICT and economic growth for Turkish case.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ankara 06531|
Phone: +90 (312) 210 2003
Fax: (312) 210 1244
Web page: http://www.stps.metu.edu.tr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Oulton, 2001.
"ICT and productivity growth in the United Kingdom,"
Bank of England working papers
140, Bank of England.
- Jorgenson, Dale W. & Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2005.
"Information technology and the Japanese economy,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 460-481, December.
- NONNEMAN, Walter & VANHOUDT, Patrick, 1995. "A further augmentation of the Solow model and the empirics of economic growth for OECD countries," SESO Working Papers 1995005, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Norton, Seth W, 1992. "Transaction Costs, Telecommunications, and the Microeconomics of Macroeconomic Growth," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 175-96, October.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000. "Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burcu Türkcan & Erkan Erdil & Ý. Hakan Yetkiner, 2009. "Does Information and Communication Technologies Sustain Economic Growth? The Underdeveloped and Developing Countries Case," Working Papers 0901, Izmir University of Economics.
- Jalava, Jukka & Pohjola, Matti, 0. "ICT as a source of output and productivity growth in Finland," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 463-472, September.
- Seung-Hoon Yoo, 2003. "Does information technology contribute to economic growth in developing countries? a cross-country analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(11), pages 679-682.
- Karl Whelan, 2000.
"Computers, obsolescence, and productivity,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-06, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John Simon & Sharon Wardrop, 2002. "Australian Use of Information Technology and its Contribution to Growth," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2002-02, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Walter Nonneman & Patrick Vanhoudt, 1996. "A Further Augmentation of the Solow Model and the Empirics of Economic Growth for OECD Countries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(3), pages 943-953.
- Francesco Daveri, .
"The new economy in Europe (1992-2001),"
213, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000.
"The Resurgence of Growth in the Late 1990s: Is Information Technology the Story?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 3-22, Fall.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000. "The resurgence of growth in the late 1990s: is information technology the story?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000. "The resurgence of growth in the late 1990s: is information technology the story?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-20, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Marcin Piatkowski, 2003. "The Contribution of ICT Investment to Economic Growth and Labor Productivity in Poland 1995-2000," Development and Comp Systems 0308002, EconWPA.
- Jonathan Coppel, 2000. "E-Commerce: Impacts and Policy Challenges," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 252, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:met:stpswp:1205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Semih Akcomak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.