Errors-In-Variables Models: A Generalized Functions Approach
Identification in errors-in-variables regression models was recently extended to wide models classes by S. Schennach (Econometrica, 2007) (S) via use of generalized functions. In this paper the problems of non- and semi- parametric identification in such models are re-examined. Nonparametric identification holds under weaker assumptions than in (S); the proof here does not rely on decomposition of generalized functions into ordinary and singular parts, which may not hold. Conditions for continuity of the identification mapping are provided and a consistent nonparametric plug-in estimator for regression functions in the L₁ space constructed. Semiparametric identification via a finite set of moments is shown to hold for classes of functions that are explicitly characterized; unlike (S) existence of a moment generating function for the measurement
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 398-3030
Fax: (514) 398-4938
Web page: http://www.repec.mcgill.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 2008. "Kernel Estimation When Density May Not Exist," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 696-725, June.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1993.
"Robust Nonstationary Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1064, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Newey, Whitney K. & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Powell, James L., 1991. "Identification and estimation of polynomial errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 273-295, December.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004.
"Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
602, Econometric Society.
- Susanne M Schennach, 2007. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 201-239, 01.
- Victoria Zinde-Walsh & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2003. "Fractional Brownian Motion as a Differentiable Generalized Gaussian Process," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1391, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Whitney Newey, 1999.
"Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
99-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey, 2001. "Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation Of Nonlinear Errors-In-Variables Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 616-627, November.
- P. C. B. Phillips, 1985. "A Theorem on the Tail Behaviour of Probability Distributions with an Application to the Stable Family," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(1), pages 58-65, February.
- Wang, Liqun, 1998. "Estimation of censored linear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 383-400, June.
- Wang, Liqun & Hsiao, Cheng, 2011. "Method of moments estimation and identifiability of semiparametric nonlinear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 30-44.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcl:mclwop:2009-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shama Rangwala)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Shama Rangwala to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.