Errors-In-Variables Models: A Generalized Functions Approach
Identification in errors-in-variables regression models was recently extended to wide models classes by S. Schennach (Econometrica, 2007) (S) via use of generalized functions. In this paper the problems of non- and semi- parametric identification in such models are re-examined. Nonparametric identification holds under weaker assumptions than in (S); the proof here does not rely on decomposition of generalized functions into ordinary and singular parts, which may not hold. Conditions for continuity of the identification mapping are provided and a consistent nonparametric plug-in estimator for regression functions in the L₁ space constructed. Semiparametric identification via a finite set of moments is shown to hold for classes of functions that are explicitly characterized; unlike (S) existence of a moment generating function for the measurement
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 855 Sherbrooke St. W., Montréal, Québec, H3A 2T7|
Phone: (514) 398-3030
Fax: (514) 398-4938
Web page: http://www.repec.mcgill.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1993.
"Robust Nonstationary Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1064, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Newey, Whitney K. & Ichimura, Hidehiko & Powell, James L., 1991. "Identification and estimation of polynomial errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 273-295, December.
- Whitney K. Newey, 2001.
"Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation Of Nonlinear Errors-In-Variables Models,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 616-627, November.
- Whitney Newey, 1999. "Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models," Working papers 99-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Zinde-Walsh, Victoria, 2008. "Kernel Estimation When Density May Not Exist," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 696-725, June.
- Wang, Liqun, 1998. "Estimation of censored linear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 383-400, June.
- Wang, Liqun & Hsiao, Cheng, 2011. "Method of moments estimation and identifiability of semiparametric nonlinear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 30-44.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2004.
"Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
602, Econometric Society.
- Susanne M Schennach, 2007. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 201-239, 01.
- P. C. B. Phillips, 1985. "A Theorem on the Tail Behaviour of Probability Distributions with an Application to the Stable Family," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(1), pages 58-65, February.
- Victoria Zinde-Walsh & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2003. "Fractional Brownian Motion as a Differentiable Generalized Gaussian Process," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1391, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcl:mclwop:2009-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shama Rangwala)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.