Competition, Regulation, and Broadband Access to the Internet
This paper reexamines the effect of the regulatory regime on both penetration and coverage of broadband access to the internet. The framework also allows for an evaluation of different public policy measures such as subsidization of broadband demand and supply. A welfare analysis asks what the optimal regulatory regime is and whether and how high-speed access to the internet should be subsidized. Using an approach similar to Valletti et al. (2002), the paper highlights the importance of population density for whether firms invest to provide internet access. The analysis reveals a trade-off between coverage and penetration.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb02/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foros, Oystein & Kind, Hans Jarle, 2003. "The Broadband Access Market: Competition, Uniform Pricing and Geographical Coverage," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 215-35, May.
- Valletti, Tommaso M & Hoernig, Steffen & Barros, Pedro P, 2002.
"Universal Service and Entry: The Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 169-90, March.
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Hoernig, Steffen & Valletti, Tommaso, 2001. "Universal Service and Entry: the Role of Uniform Pricing and Coverage Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 2789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Distaso, Walter & Lupi, Paolo & Manenti, Fabio M., 2006.
"Platform competition and broadband uptake: Theory and empirical evidence from the European union,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 87-106, March.
- Walter Distaso & Paolo Lupi & Fabio M. Manenti, 2005. "Platform Competition and Broadband Uptake: Theory and Empirical Evidence from the European Union," Industrial Organization 0504019, EconWPA.
- BOUCKAERT, Jan & VAN DIJK, Theon & VERBOVEN, Frank, 2010.
"Access regulation, competition, and broadband penetration: An international study,"
2010020, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Bouckaert, Jan & van Dijk, Theon & Verboven, Frank, 2010. "Access regulation, competition, and broadband penetration: An international study," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 661-671, December.
- Sangwon Lee & Justin S. Brown, 2008. "The Diffusion of Fixed Broadband: An Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 08-19, NET Institute, revised Sep 2008.
- Hoernig, Steffen, 2005.
"Should Uniform Pricing Contraints be Imposed on Entrants?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5052, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steffen Hoernig, 2006. "Should uniform pricing constraints be imposed on entrants?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 199-216, 08.
- Christian M. Bender & Georg Götz, 2011.
"Coexistence of Service- and Facility-Based Competition: The Relevance of Access Prices for "Make-or-Buy"-Decisions,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
201107, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Bender, Christian M. & Götz, Georg, 2010. "Coexistence of service- and facility-based competition: The relevance of access prices for "make-or-buy"-decisions," 21st European Regional ITS Conference, Copenhagen 2010: Telecommunications at new crossroads - Changing value configurations, user roles, and regulation 3, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Varian, Hal R, 1980. "A Model of Sales," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 651-59, September.
- Faulhaber, Gerald R & Hogendorn, Christiaan, 2000. "The Market Structure of Broadband Telecommunications," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 305-29, September.
- Briglauer Wolfgang & Götz Georg & Schwarz Anton, 2011.
"Margin Squeeze in Fixed-Network Telephony Markets -- Competitive or Anticompetitive?,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(4), pages 1-21, December.
- Wolfgang Briglauer & Georg Götz & Anton Schwarz, 2008. "Margin Squeeze in Fixed-Network Telephony Markets – competitive or anticompetitive?," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200827, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Mario Denni & Harald Gruber, 2006. "The diffusion of broadband telecommunications: the role of competition," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0060, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mar:magkse:200924. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernd Hayo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.