Migration factors among broadband services: Panel data analysis
Providing nationwide deployment of broadband services has become an important national agenda. The U.S. announced a National Broadband Plan and EU a Digital Agenda for Europe, both of which aim at providing access to 100 Mbps broadband services by 2020 to substantial numbers of households. The purpose of this paper is to analyze the migration factors among broadband services, namely CATV (BB), DSL and FTTx, in OECD 30 countries. In so doing, we focus especially on migration from CATV (BB) and DSL to FTTx in OECD 30 countries. Since FTTx is not independent of other two competing broadband services, not only FTTx but also CATV (BB) and DSL are analyzed. The results obtained by empirical panel data analysis, which covers the data from the year 2000 to 2010, revealed that (1) each three broadband services are substitutes, (2) faster connection speed promotes each broadband services adoption, (3) initial conditions of Cable TV in 2000 promote CATV (BB) diffusion, (4) unbundling of dry copper promotes DSL diffusion, (5) unbundling of fiber local loop restricts FTTx diffusion, and (6) investment decision on FTTx by carriers affects FTTx diffusion. This analysis will provide an important basis for national broadband policy in each country.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itsworld.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Madden, Gary & Coble-Neal, Grant, 2004.
"Economic determinants of global mobile telephony growth,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 519-534, December.
- Madden, Gary G & Coble-Neal, Grant, 2004. "Economic determinants of global mobile telephony growth," MPRA Paper 10828, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koutroumpis, Pantelis, 2009. "The economic impact of broadband on growth: A simultaneous approach," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 471-485, October.
- Distaso, Walter & Lupi, Paolo & Manenti, Fabio M., 2006. "Platform competition and broadband uptake: Theory and empirical evidence from the European union," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 87-106, March.
- Walter Distaso & Paolo Lupi & Fabio M. Manenti, 2005. "Platform Competition and Broadband Uptake: Theory and Empirical Evidence from the European Union," Industrial Organization 0504019, EconWPA.
- Bouckaert, Jan & van Dijk, Theon & Verboven, Frank, 2010. "Access regulation, competition, and broadband penetration: An international study," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 661-671, December.
- BOUCKAERT, Jan & VAN DIJK, Theon & VERBOVEN, Frank, 2010. "Access regulation, competition, and broadband penetration: An international study," Working Papers 2010020, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itsb12:72543. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.