A new perspective to rational expectations: maximin rational expectations equilibrium
We introduce a new notion of rational expectations equilibrium (REE) called maximin rational expectations equilibrium (MREE), which is based on the maximin expected utility (MEU) formulation. In particular, agents maximize maximin expected utility conditioned on their own private information and the information that the equilibrium prices generate. Maximin equilibrium allocations need not to be measurable with respect to the private information of each individual and with respect to the information that the equilibrium prices generate, as it is in the case of the Bayesian REE. We prove that a maximin REE exists universally (and not generically as in Radner (1979) and Allen (1981)), it is effcient and incentive compatible. These results are false for the Bayesian REE
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1989. "Maxmin expected utility with non-unique prior," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-153, April.
- Allen, Beth E, 1981. "Generic Existence of Completely Revealing Equilibria for Economies with Uncertainty when Prices Convey Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(5), pages 1173-99, September.
- João Correia-da-Silva & Carlos Hervés-Beloso, 2006.
"Prudent Expectations Equilibrium in Economies with Uncertain Delivery,"
321307000000000099, UCLA Department of Economics.
- João Correia-da-Silva & Carlos Hervés-Beloso, 2009. "Prudent expectations equilibrium in economies with uncertain delivery," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 67-92, April.
- Joao Correia-da-Silva & Carlos Hervés-Beloso, 2006. "Prudent Expectations Equilibrium in Economies with Uncertain Delivery," FEP Working Papers 216, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Larry G. Epstein & Martin Schneider, 2010.
"Ambiguity and Asset Markets,"
Annual Review of Financial Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 2(1), pages 315-346, December.
- Scott Condie & Jayant Ganguli, 2011. "Informational efficiency with ambiguous information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 229-242, October.
- Rose-Anne Dana, 2004. "Ambiguity, uncertainty aversion and equilibrium welfare," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 569-587, March.
- Radner, Roy, 1979. "Rational Expectations Equilibrium: Generic Existence and the Information Revealed by Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 655-78, May.
- Larry Epstein & Martin Schneider, 2002.
"Learning Under Ambiguity,"
RCER Working Papers
497, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER), revised Mar 2005.
- Dionysius Glycopantis & Allan Muir & Nicholas Yannelis, 2005. "Non-implementation of rational expectations as a perfect Bayesian equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 765-791, November.
- Podczeck, Konrad & Yannelis, Nicholas C., 2008. "Equilibrium theory with asymmetric information and with infinitely many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 152-183, July.
- Yannelis, Nicholas C, 1991. "The Core of an Economy with Differential Information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 183-97, April.
- Kreps, David M., 1977. "A note on "fulfilled expectations" equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 32-43, February.
- Dana, Rose-Anne, 2004. "Ambiguity, uncertainty aversion and equilibrium welfare," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5393, Paris Dauphine University.
- Krasa, Stefan & Yannelis, Nicholas C, 1994. "The Value Allocation of an Economy with Differential Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 881-900, July.
- Koutsougeras, Leonidas C & Yannelis, Nicholas C, 1993. "Incentive Compatibility and Information Superiority of the Core of an Economy with Differential Information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 195-216, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:sespap:1107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.