A new perspective to rational expectations: maximin rational expectations equilibrium
We introduce a new notion of rational expectations equilibrium (REE) called maximin rational expectations equilibrium (MREE), which is based on the maximin expected utility (MEU) formulation. In particular, agents maximize maximin expected utility conditioned on their own private information and the information that the equilibrium prices generate. Maximin equilibrium allocations need not to be measurable with respect to the private information of each individual and with respect to the information that the equilibrium prices generate, as it is in the case of the Bayesian REE. We prove that a maximin REE exists universally (and not generically as in Radner (1979) and Allen (1981)), it is effcient and incentive compatible. These results are false for the Bayesian REE
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manchester M13 9PL|
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:restud:v:74:y:2007:i:4:p:1275-1303 is not listed on IDEAS
- Itzhak Gilboa & David Schmeidler, 1989.
"Maxmin Expected Utility with Non-Unique Prior,"
- Radner, Roy, 1979. "Rational Expectations Equilibrium: Generic Existence and the Information Revealed by Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 655-78, May.
- Rose-Anne Dana, 2004. "Ambiguity, uncertainty aversion and equilibrium welfare," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 569-587, March.
- João Correia-da-Silva & Carlos Hervés-Beloso, 2009.
"Prudent expectations equilibrium in economies with uncertain delivery,"
Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 67-92, April.
- Joao Correia-da-Silva & Carlos Hervés-Beloso, 2006. "Prudent Expectations Equilibrium in Economies with Uncertain Delivery," FEP Working Papers 216, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- João Correia-da-Silva & Carlos Hervés-Beloso, 2006. "Prudent Expectations Equilibrium in Economies with Uncertain Delivery," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000099, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Koutsougeras, Leonidas C & Yannelis, Nicholas C, 1993. "Incentive Compatibility and Information Superiority of the Core of an Economy with Differential Information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 195-216, April.
- Larry G. Epstein & Martin Schneider, 2010.
"Ambiguity and Asset Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
16181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Larry Epstein & Martin Schneider, 2002.
"Learning Under Ambiguity,"
RCER Working Papers
497, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER), revised Mar 2005.
- Yannelis, Nicholas C, 1991. "The Core of an Economy with Differential Information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 183-97, April.
- Dana, Rose-Anne, 2004. "Ambiguity, uncertainty aversion and equilibrium welfare," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5393, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kreps, David M., 1977. "A note on "fulfilled expectations" equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 32-43, February.
- Allen, Beth E, 1981. "Generic Existence of Completely Revealing Equilibria for Economies with Uncertainty when Prices Convey Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(5), pages 1173-99, September.
- Krasa, Stefan & Yannelis, Nicholas C, 1994. "The Value Allocation of an Economy with Differential Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 881-900, July.
- Podczeck, Konrad & Yannelis, Nicholas C., 2008. "Equilibrium theory with asymmetric information and with infinitely many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 152-183, July.
- Scott Condie & Jayant Ganguli, 2011. "Informational efficiency with ambiguous information," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 229-242, October.
- Dionysius Glycopantis & Allan Muir & Nicholas Yannelis, 2005. "Non-implementation of rational expectations as a perfect Bayesian equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 765-791, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:sespap:1107. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.