Minimum Quality Standard and Protectionism
We studied the protectionist character of a minimum quality standard (MQS). We show that in the fixed cost model where two firms, one local and one foreign, compete in a local market, the implementation of a MQS on the local market is a protectionist political only if the local firm supplies the lower quality, whatever the type of competition (Cournot or Bertrand) and the technology differential between the firms.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (418) 656-2096
Fax: (418) 656-7412
Web page: http://www.green.ecn.ulaval.ca
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Lambertini & C. Scarpa, 1999. "Minimum Quality Standards and Predatory Behaviour," Working Papers 353, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Crampes, C. & Hollander, A., 1992.
"Duopoly and Quality Standards,"
92.g, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Crampes, C. & Hollander, A., 1991. "Duopoly and Quality Standards," Cahiers de recherche 9128, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Crampes, C. & Hollander, A., 1991. "Duopoly and Quality Standards," Cahiers de recherche 9128, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Giulio Ecchia & Luca Lambertini, 1995.
"Minimum Quality Standards and Collusion,"
235, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Ronald Fischer & Pablo Serra, 1998.
"Standards and Protection,"
Documentos de Trabajo
45, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Dongsheng Zhou & Barbara J. Spencer & Ilan Vertinsky, 2000.
"Strategic Trade Policy with Endogenous Choice of Quality and Asymmetric Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
7536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhou, Dongsheng & Spencer, Barbara J. & Vertinsky, Ilan, 2002. "Strategic trade policy with endogenous choice of quality and asymmetric costs," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 205-232, January.
- Motta, Massimo, 1993. "Endogenous Quality Choice: Price vs. Quantity Competition," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 113-31, June.
- Boom, Anette, 1995. "Asymmetric International Minimum Quality Standards and Vertical Differentiation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 101-19, March.
- David J. Salant, 1986. "Equilibrium in a Spatial Model of Imperfect Competition with Sequential Choice of Locations and Quantities," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(4), pages 685-715, November.
- Tanaka, Yasuhito, 2001. "Profitability of price and quantity strategies in an oligopoly," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 409-418, June.
- Mattoo, Aaditya, 2001.
"Discriminatory Consequences of Non-discriminatory Standards,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 16, pages 78-105.
- Mattoo, Aaditya, 1996. "Discriminatory consequences of non-discriminatory standards," WTO Staff Working Papers TISD-96-01, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Das, Satya P. & Donnenfeld, Shabtai, 1989. "Oligopolistic competition and international trade : Quantity and quality restrictions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3-4), pages 299-318, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:lagrcr:0302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.