Nash Implementable Liability Rules for Judgement-Proof Injurers
I provide a complete characterization of Nash implementable allocations of spending in prevention by judgement-proof injurers. This characterization is used to identify the optimal rule that allows for the maximum total spending in prevention. The optimal rule amounts to apply the negligence rule to the "deep-pocket" (or the "victim"), that is the injurer who responds the most to monetary incentives under the strict liability rule, and the strict liability rule to everybody else.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Sève, Québec, Québec, G1K 7P4|
Phone: (418) 656-5122
Fax: (418) 656-2707
Web page: http://www.ecn.ulaval.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winand Emons & Joel Sobel, 1991.
"On the Effectiveness of Liability Rules when Agents are not Identical,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 375-390.
- Emons,Winand & Sobel,Joel, 1988. "On the effectiveness of liability rules when agents are not identical," Discussion Paper Serie A 212, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Kornhauser, Lewis A. & Revesz, Richard L., 1989. "Apportioning Damages Among Potentially Insolvent Actors," Working Papers 89-22, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Kornhauser, Lewis A & Revesz, Richard L, 1994. "Multidefendant Settlements under Joint and Several Liability: The Problem of Insolvency," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(1), pages 517-542, January.
- Shavell, S., 1986. "The judgment proof problem," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 45-58, June.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Kornhauser, Lewis A & Revesz, Richard L, 1990. "Apportioning Damages among Potentially Insolvent Actors," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 19(2), pages 617-651, June.
- Bergstrom, Ted C. & Blume, Larry & Varian, Hal, 1992. "Uniqueness of Nash equilibrium in private provision of public goods : An improved proof," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 391-392, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:laeccr:0403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuel Paradis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.