Indian Antidumping Measures against China: Evidence from Monthly Trade Data
China’s importance for India as a trading partner has increased tremendously over the recent years. At the same time, China has become the main target of Indian antidumping measures with a number of measures that is unprecedented worldwide. This paper provides a detailed analysis of trade flows between the two emerging economies and investigates on which type of products and in which sectors the Indian government applies antidumping measures against China. Then this paper estimates the trade impact of those measures that were imposed during the Great Recession, using monthly data on exports from China to India. The use of monthly data is relatively new to the literature and allows a detailed examination of the trade impact of antidumping measures and its dynamics. This paper finds that antidumping measures decrease the Chinese export value and quantity to India immediately and to a significant extent. The impact is quite stable over time.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrico Marelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2011. "China and India: Openness, Trade and Effects on Economic Growth," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 8(1), pages 129-154, June.
- Bodhisattva Ganguli, 2008. "The Trade Effects of Indian Antidumping Actions," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 930-941, November.
- Thomas Prusa & Michael Knetter, 2000.
"Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries,"
Departmental Working Papers
200023, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Knetter, Michael M. & Prusa, Thomas J., 2003. "Macroeconomic factors and antidumping filings: evidence from four countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 1-17, October.
- Michael M. Knetter & Thomas J. Prusa, 2000. "Macroeconomic Factors and Antidumping Filings: Evidence from Four Countries," NBER Working Papers 8010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nisha Malhotra & Shavin Malhotra, 2008.
"Liberalization and protection: antidumping duties in the Indian pharmaceutical industry,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 115-122.
- Nisha Malhotra & Shavin Malhotra, 2008. "Liberalization and protection: antidumping duties in the Indian pharmaceutical industry," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 115-122.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lic:licosd:32212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.