Keynes versus the Post Keynesians on the Principle of Effective Demand
The American Post Keynesians – those who attach importance to the ‘Big P’ and the absence of a dash between ‘post’ and ‘Keynesian’ – claim to be Keynes’s most literal interpreters, or the ‘truest’ Keynesians (HOLT ET AL., 1998, p. 17). This paper compares the Post Keynesian interpretation of the Principle of Effective Demand, i.e. the D/Z-model, with Keynes’s own presentation in Chapter 3 of the General Theory – and finds substantial differences. A reinterpretation of the D/Z-model is offered that would bring it into line with Chapter 3.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 44 632 42 39
Fax: +41 44 632 12 18
Web page: http://www.kof.ethz.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Wells, 1987. "Keynes's Employment Function and the Marginal Productivity of Labor," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 9(4), pages 507-515, July.
- Palley, Thomas I, 1997. "Expected Aggregate Demand, the Production Period and the Keynesian Theory of Aggregate Supply," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 65(3), pages 295-309, June.
- Hicks, J. R., 1987. "Methods of Dynamic Economics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198772873, March.
- Hamouda, Omar F & Harcourt, G C, 1988. "Post Keynesianism: From Criticism to Coherence?," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 1-33, January.
- Gilbert Koenig, 1980. "Les fondements microéconomiques du principe de la demande effective," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 31(3), pages 430-464.
- Casarosa, Carlo, 1981. "The Microfoundations of Keynes's Aggregate Supply and Expected Demand Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(361), pages 188-94, March.
- Giuseppe Fontana, 2004. "Hicks on monetary theory and history: money as endogenous money," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 73-88, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521590068 is not listed on IDEAS
- Davidson, Paul, 1972. "Money and the Real World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 101-15, March.
- J. A. Kregel, 1985. "Sidney Weintraub's Macrofoundations of Microeconomics and the Theory of Distribution," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 7(4), pages 540-558, July.
- Victoria Chick, 1983. "Macroeconomics after Keynes: A Reconsideration of the General Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262530457, June.
- Kregel, J A, 1976. "Economic Methodology in the Face of Uncertainty: The Modelling Methods of Keynes and the Post-Keynesians," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(342), pages 209-25, June.
- Richard P. F. Holt & J. Barkley Rosser & L. Randall Wray, 1998.
"Paul Davidson's Economics,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_251, Levy Economics Institute.
- Felderer, Bernhard & Homburg, Stefan, 2005. "Makroökonomik und neue Makroökonomik," EconStor Books, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, number 92556.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kof:wpskof:04-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.