On the Principle of Optimality for Nonstationary Deterministic Dynamic Programming
This note studies a general nonstationary infinite-horizon optimization problem in discrete time. We allow the state space in each period to be an arbitrary set, and the return function in each period to be unbounded. We do not require discounting, and do not require the constraint correspondence in each period to be nonempty-valued. The objective function is defined as the limit superior or inferior of the finite sums of return functions. We show that the sequence of time-indexed value functions satisfies the Bellman equation if and only if its right-hand side is well defined, i.e., it does not involve -∞+∞.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe 657-8501 JAPAN|
Phone: +81-(0)78 803 7036
Fax: +81-(0)78 803 7059
Web page: http://www.rieb.kobe-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Le Van, Cuong & Morhaim, Lisa, 2002.
"Optimal Growth Models with Bounded or Unbounded Returns: A Unifying Approach,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 158-187, July.
- Le Van, C. & Morhaim, L., 2000. "Optimal Growth Models with Bounded or Unbounded Returns : a Unifying Approach," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 2000.64, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- LE VAN, Cuong & MORHAIM, Lisa, 2001. "Optimal growth models with bounded or unbounded returns: a unifying approach," CORE Discussion Papers 2001034, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel, Philippe, 1990. "Some Clarifications on the Transversality Condition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 705-723, May.
- W. A. Brock, 1970. "On Existence of Weakly Maximal Programmes in a Multi-Sector Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 275-280.
- McKenzie, Lionel W., 2005. "Optimal economic growth, turnpike theorems and comparative dynamics," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 2, volume 3, chapter 26, pages 1281-1355 Elsevier.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/433 is not listed on IDEAS
- Juan Pablo RincÛn-Zapatero & Carlos RodrÌguez-Palmero, 2003. "Existence and Uniqueness of Solutions to the Bellman Equation in the Unbounded Case," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1519-1555, 09.
- Alvarez, Fernando & Stokey, Nancy L., 1998. "Dynamic Programming with Homogeneous Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 167-189, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)