Asymmetric welfare implication between a small number of leaders and a small number of followers in Stackelberg models
We investigate a Stackelberg oligopoly model in which m leaders and N-m followers compete. We find an asymmetric welfare implication of the Stackelberg model. Introducing a small number of leaders into the Cournot model can reduce welfare. However, introducing a small number of followers into the Cournot model always improves welfare. The key result behind this asymmetry is contrasting limit results in the cases where m → 0 and m → N. We also discuss the optimal number of leaders and the integer constraint for the number of the firms.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lahiri, Sajal & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1998.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Local Content Requirement, and Profit Taxation,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 444-57, March.
- Lahiri, S & Ono, Y, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment, Local Content Requirement, and Profit Taxation," ISER Discussion Paper 0438, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Lahiri, S. & Ono, Y., 1998.
"Export-Oriented Foreign Direct Investment and Local Content Requirement,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0456, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Sajal Lahiri & Yoshiyasu Ono, 2003. "Export-Oriented Foreign Direct Investment and Local Content Requirement," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 1-14, 01.
- Junichiro Ishida & Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2010.
"Market Competition, R&D and Firm Profits in Asymmetric Oligopoly,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0777, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Junichiro Ishida & Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2011. "Market Competition, R&D And Firm Profits In Asymmetric Oligopoly," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 484-505, 09.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro, 1999. "Quantity-setting oligopoly with endogenous sequencing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 289-296, February.
- Pal, Debashis, 1998. "Endogenous timing in a mixed oligopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 181-185, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kgu:wpaper:098. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.