Asymmetric welfare implication between a small number of leaders and a small number of followers in Stackelberg models
We investigate a Stackelberg oligopoly model in which m leaders and N-m followers compete. We find an asymmetric welfare implication of the Stackelberg model. Introducing a small number of leaders into the Cournot model can reduce welfare. However, introducing a small number of followers into the Cournot model always improves welfare. The key result behind this asymmetry is contrasting limit results in the cases where m → 0 and m → N. We also discuss the optimal number of leaders and the integer constraint for the number of the firms.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1-155 Uegahara Ichiban-cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 662-8501|
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sajal Lahiri & Yoshiyasu Ono, 2003.
"Export-Oriented Foreign Direct Investment and Local Content Requirement,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 1-14, 01.
- Lahiri, S. & Ono, Y., 1998. "Export-Oriented Foreign Direct Investment and Local Content Requirement," ISER Discussion Paper 0456, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Junichiro Ishida & Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2011.
"Market Competition, R&D And Firm Profits In Asymmetric Oligopoly,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 484-505, 09.
- Junichiro Ishida & Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2010. "Market Competition, R&D and Firm Profits in Asymmetric Oligopoly," ISER Discussion Paper 0777, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Lahiri, S & Ono, Y, 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Local Content Requirement, and Profit Taxation,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0438, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Ono, Yoshiyasu, 1998. "Foreign Direct Investment, Local Content Requirement, and Profit Taxation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 444-457, March.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro, 1999. "Quantity-setting oligopoly with endogenous sequencing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 289-296, February.
- Pal, Debashis, 1998. "Endogenous timing in a mixed oligopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 181-185, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kgu:wpaper:098. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.