Data-Driven Robust Optimization with Application to Portfolio Management
Portfolio optimization results are strongly dependent on the model parameters. To circumvent this shortcoming, this paper proposes a new modeling approach to address data uncertainty. The model offers full control over the degree of conservatism and underlines its interaction with robustness for a range of extreme market situations. Without prior assumptions on data generating process, we develop a probabilistic guarantee on the optimality of the solution. Unlike previous measures that depend solely on the uncertainty model, our measure is also sensitive to the solution and the investment horizon. We provide an example on international stock indexes investment. Computational experiments and ex-post analysis provide evidence for the potential and the effectiveness of our model.
|Date of creation:||25 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 53 63 36 00
Web page: http://www.ipag.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Costa, O. L. V. & Paiva, A. C., 2002. "Robust portfolio selection using linear-matrix inequalities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 889-909, June.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1986. "Bayes-Stein Estimation for Portfolio Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(03), pages 279-292, September.
- Quaranta, Anna Grazia & Zaffaroni, Alberto, 2008. "Robust optimization of conditional value at risk and portfolio selection," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2046-2056, October.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Doan, Xuan Vinh, 2010. "Robust and data-driven approaches to call centers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(2), pages 1072-1085, December.
- Gregory, Christine & Darby-Dowman, Ken & Mitra, Gautam, 2011. "Robust optimization and portfolio selection: The cost of robustness," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(2), pages 417-428, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipg:wpaper:2014-104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ingmar Schumacher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.