Are banks special? A note on Tobin’s theory of financial intermediaries
Since the 1960s Tobin has set himself the objective of developing a macroeconomic model more general than that specified by Keynes in The General Theory. Keynes had assumed that all the assets different from money were perfect substitutes; this hypothesis allowed him to explain only one interest rate. On the contrary, Tobin abandons the perfect substitutability hypothesis and elaborates a theoretical model which envisages more than two assets and explicitly deals with financial intermediaries. Moreover Tobin asks himself whether banks play a special role compared with the other intermediaries and elaborates a ‘new view’ which, in contrast with the ‘old view’, maintains that there are no reasons to attribute a special role to the banks. This paper critically analyses Tobin’s theory and presents two results. First, it shows that Tobin’s theory overlooks an important function of banks; a function highlighted by Keynes in some writings which preceded and followed the publications of The General Theory. Second, this work shows that Tobin’s thesis that the specificity of banks does not exist can be confirmed, albeit on different grounds, also taking into account the function of banks that he overlooks. The paper is divided into four parts: in the first one, the most important aspects of the Tobin’s ‘new view’ are described. The limitations of these theoretical approaches are then showed in the second section; in the last two sections the elements of an alternative theory are outlined.y.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Ravasi 2-21100 Varese|
Web page: http://www.uninsubria.it/uninsubria/facolta/econo.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paolo Paruolo, 2006.
"The Likelihood Ratio Test for the Rank of a Cointegration Submatrix,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(s1), pages 921-948, December.
- Paruolo Paolo, 2004. "The likelihood ratio test for the rank of a cointegration submatrix," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf04024, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Oberhofer, W & Kmenta, J, 1974. "A General Procedure for Obtaining Maximum Likelihood Estimates in Generalized Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 579-590, May.
- Kurozumi, Eiji, 2005. "The Rank Of A Submatrix Of Cointegration," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(02), pages 299-325, April.
- Kurozumi, Eiji, 2003. "The Rank of a Sub-Matrix of Cointegration," Discussion Papers 2002-15, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- H. Peter Boswijk & Jurgen A. Doornik, 2004. "Identifying, estimating and testing restricted cointegrated systems: An overview," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 58(4), pages 440-465.
- H. Peter Boswijk & Jurgen Doornik, 2003. "Identifying, Estimating and Testing Restricted Cointegrated Systems: An Overview," Economics Papers 2003-W10, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Hendry, David F., 1984. "Monte carlo experimentation in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics,in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 937-976 Elsevier.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Paolo Paruolo, 2002. "On Monte Carlo estimation of relative power," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 65-75, June.
- Paruolo Paolo, "undated". "On Monte Carlo Estimation of Relative Power," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf0112, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Luukkonen, Ritva & Ripatti, Antti & Saikkonen, Pentti, 1999. "Testing for a Valid Normalization of Cointegrating Vectors in Vector Autoregressive Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(2), pages 195-204, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ins:quaeco:qf0605. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Segreteria Dipartimento)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.