A 2005 Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) for Ireland
This paper describes the construction of a Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) for Ireland for the year 2005. The SAM describes the full circular flow of money and goods in the Irish economy. The SAM includes 55 activities, 55 commodities, two factors of production (capital and labour), one account each for households, enterprises, government and investment/saving, three tax-related accounts (direct and indirect taxes and custom duties), a trade and transport margin account and three external sectors (UK, Rest of the EU and Rest of the World). Its construction takes place in three steps: (1) building the macro-SAM; (2) building an initial unbalanced SAM making use of a variety of additional data sources, and (3) balancing the SAM using the cross-entropy method. By treating the SAM as a linear model of the Irish economy and by specifying certain accounts as exogenous, the SAM can be used to simulate the effect of shocks to the exogenous variables or accounts. Examples of such multiplier analysis are presented at the end of this paper.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 01|
Phone: 00 353 1 896 3888
Fax: 00 353 1 896 3939
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/iiis/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Defourny, Jacques & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "Structural Path Analysis and Multiplier Decomposition within a Social Accounting Matrix Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 111-136, March.
- Pyatt, F Graham & Round, Jeffery I, 1979. "Accounting and Fixed Price Multipliers in a Social Accounting Matrix Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 850-873, December.
- Breisinger, Clemens & Thomas, Marcelle & Thurlow, James, 2009. "Social accounting matrices and multiplier analysis: An introduction with exercises," Food security in practice technical guide series 5, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Robinson, Sherman & Cattaneo, Andrea & El-Said, Moataz, 2000.
"Updating and estimating a Social Accounting Matrix using cross entropy methods,"
TMD discussion papers
58, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sherman Robinson & Andrea Cattaneo & Moataz El-Said, 2001. "Updating and Estimating a Social Accounting Matrix Using Cross Entropy Methods," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 47-64.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iis:dispap:iiisdp365. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colette Keleher)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.