Nonparametric regression for locally stationary time series
In this paper, we study nonparametric models allowing for locally stationary regressors and a regression function that changes smoothly over time. These models are a natural extension of time series models with time-varying coefficients. We introduce a kernel-based method to estimate the time-varying regression function and provide asymptotic theory for our estimates. Moreover, we show that the main conditions of the theory are satisfied for a large class of nonlinear autoregressive processes with a time-varying regression function. Finally, we examine structured models where the regression function splits up into time-varying additive components. As will be seen, estimation in these models does not suffer from the curse of dimensionality. We complement the technical analysis of the paper by an application to financial data.
|Date of creation:||07 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian M. Hafner & Oliver Linton, 2009.
"Efficient Estimation of a Multivariate Multiplicative Volatility Model,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
541, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Hafner, Christian M. & Linton, Oliver, 2010. "Efficient estimation of a multivariate multiplicative volatility model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 55-73, November.
- Christian M. Hafner & Oliver Linton, 2010. "Efficient estimation of a multivariate multiplicative volatility model," Post-Print hal-00732539, HAL.
- R. Dahlhaus & M. Neumann & R. von Sachs, 1997. "Nonlinear Wavelet Estimation of Time-Varying Autoregressive Processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1997,34, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Martens, M.P.E. & van Dijk, D.J.C., 2006.
"Measuring volatility with the realized range,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2006-10, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1997.
"The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm Under Weak Conditions,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1160, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Oliver Linton & Enno Mammen & N Nielsen, 2000. "The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm under Weak Conditions," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 386, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1999. "The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 300, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Enno Mammen & Oliver Linton & J Nielsen, 2000. "The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2315, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2008. "Uniform Convergence Rates For Kernel Estimation With Dependent Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 726-748, June.
- Sassan Alizadeh & Michael W. Brandt & Francis X. Diebold, 2002. "Range-Based Estimation of Stochastic Volatility Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(3), pages 1047-1091, 06.
- Yang, Dennis & Zhang, Qiang, 2000. "Drift-Independent Volatility Estimation Based on High, Low, Open, and Close Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(3), pages 477-91, July.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2008.
"Uniform Convergence Rates of Kernel Estimators with Heterogenous, Dependent Data,"
CREATES Research Papers
2008-37, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Kristensen, Dennis, 2009. "Uniform Convergence Rates Of Kernel Estimators With Heterogeneous Dependent Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(05), pages 1433-1445, October.
- Wu, Guojun & Xiao, Zhijie, 2002. "A generalized partially linear model of asymmetric volatility," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 287-319, August.
- Dahlhaus, R., 1996. "On the Kullback-Leibler information divergence of locally stationary processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 139-168, March.
- Bhattacharya, Rabi & Lee, Chanho, 1995. "On geometric ergodicity of nonlinear autoregressive models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 311-315, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:cemmap:22/12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emma Hyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.