Intra-industry Trade between the European Union and Western Balkans: A Close-up
After the collapse of socialism, ex-centrally planned economies underwent the transition process towards the market economy with more or less success. The now so-called Western Balkans region was additionally burdened by the war, which disrupted previously existing trading routes, contributed to the delay in the transition process and increased the gap not only between them and more advance market economies, but also other transition economies in the region. This has significantly influenced the speed of the EU integration processes of these countries. The accession and participation on the common EU market bring additional challenges to these rather non-competitive economies. What comes into perspective when having in mind the integration prospects, is the evolution of trade between these countries and EU. Trade patterns are used as one of the indicators of whether we should look for integrating forces between EU countries and Western Balkan countries. The countries included in the analysis are: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, FYR Macedonia, Kosovo, Serbia and Montenegro. For each country in the sample, the intra-industry trade (IIT) with new and old EU member states is analyzed in total, along with horizontal and vertical trade. The analysis is performed on a 4-digit level of Combined Nomenclature (CN).
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (**385 1) 23 35 700
Fax: (**385 1) 23 35 165
Web page: http://www.eizg.hr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marius Brülhart, 1994. "Marginal intra-industry trade: Measurement and relevance for the pattern of industrial adjustment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(3), pages 600-613, September.
- Karel Janda & Daniel Münich, 2004. "The Intra-Industry Trade of the Czech Republic in the Economic Transition," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(2), pages 27-50, March.
- Michaël Freudenberg & Françoise Lemoine, 1999. "Central and Eastern European Countries in the International Division of Labour in Europe," Working Papers 1999-05, CEPII research center.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Daniela Grozea-Helmenstein & Andreas Wörgötter, 1999. "East-west intra-industry trade dynamics," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(2), pages 332-346, June.
- Antonio Aquino, 1978. "Intra-industry trade and inter-industry specialization as concurrent sources of International Trade in manufactures," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 114(2), pages 275-296, June.
- Kandogan, Yener, 2003. "Intra-industry trade of transition countries: trends and determinants," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 273-286, September.
- Caves, Richard E, 1981. "Intra-Industry Trade and Market Structure in the Industrial Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 203-23, July.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Jarko Fidrmuc, 2005. "Trade Structure during Accession to the EU," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 225-234.
- Yener Kandogan, 2003. "Intra-industry Trade of Transition Countries: Trends and Determinants," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-566, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jose Caetano & Aurora Galego, 2007. "In Search for the Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade within an Enlarged Europe," South-Eastern Europe Journal of Economics, Association of Economic Universities of South and Eastern Europe and the Black Sea Region, vol. 5(2), pages 163-183.
- José Manuel Martins Caetano & Aurora Galego, 2006. "In Search for Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade within an Enlarged Europe," Economics Working Papers 2_2006, University of Évora, Department of Economics (Portugal).
- Clive Hamilton & Paul Kniest, 1991. "Trade liberalisation, structural adjustment and intra-industry trade: A note," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(2), pages 356-367, June.
- Hubert Gabrisch, 2006. "Vertical Intra-industry Trade between EU and Accession Countries," IWH Discussion Papers 12, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Goran Buturac & Ivan Teodorovic, 2012. "The Impacts of the Global Recession on Southeast European Countries," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 50(1), pages 78-97, January.
- Joze P. Damijan & José de Sousa & Olivier Lamotte, 2006. "The Effect of Trade Liberalization in South-Eastern European Countries," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 70, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iez:wpaper:1202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Banicevic)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.