Empirical Rules of Thumb for Choice under Uncertainty
A substantial body of empirical evidence shows that individuals overweight extreme events and act in conflict with the expected utility theory. These findings were the primary motivation behind the development of the rank-dependent utility theory. The purpose of this paper is to demonstrate that some plausible empirical rules of thumb for choice under uncertainty can be rationalized by the rank-dependent utility theory.
|Date of creation:||May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706062
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Segal, Uzi, 1987.
"Some remarks on Quiggin's anticipated utility,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 145-154, March.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Milton Friedman & L. J. Savage, 1948. "The Utility Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 279.
- Kelsey, D., 1991.
"Choice Under Partial Uncertainty,"
91-19, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Quiggin John & Wakker Peter, 1994.
"The Axiomatic Basis of Anticipated Utility: A Clarification,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 486-499, December.
- Quiggin, J. & Wakker, P.P., 1992. "The Axiomatic Basis of Anticipated Utility : A Clarification," Discussion Paper 1992-3, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Quiggin, J. & Wakker, P., 1992. "The Axiomatic Basis of Anticipated Utility: A Clarification," Papers 9203, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Diecidue, Enrico & Wakker, Peter P, 2001. " On the Intuition of Rank-Dependent Utility," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 281-98, November.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
- Ramsey, Frank P., 1926. "Truth and Probability," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Braithwaite, R. B. (ed.), The Foundations of Mathematics and other Logical Essays, chapter 7, pages 156-198 McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Quiggin, John & Horowitz, John, 1995. "Time and Risk," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 37-55, January.
- Quiggin, John, 1987. "Decision weights in anticipated utility theory : Response to Segal," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 641-645, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpicer:22-2002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.