GDP as a Measure of Economic Welfare
Ever since the early days of National Income accounting we can observe periodic surges of demands to fix the measurement of GDP to better reflect progress, welfare or even happiness. In recent years even Presidents and Prime Ministers in Europe have joined the chorus of the discontent. In this paper I argue that the critique is mostly misguided. Welfare measurement has not been the objective of the GDP accounts especially since the late 1940s when National Accounts became a vehicle for applying Keynesian economics for, primarily, short run stabilization. I also argue that the search for a unique index of welfare, well-being, or happiness is a chimera.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706062
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Kuznets, 1934.
"National Income, 1929-1932,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number kuzn34-1, June.
- Simon Kuznets, 1934. "National Income, 1929-1932," NBER Chapters,in: National Income, 1929-1932, pages 1-12 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Kuznets, 1946. "Introduction to "National Income: A Summary of Findings"," NBER Chapters,in: National Income: A Summary of Findings, pages 1-2 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Syrquin, M. & Chenery, H.B., 1989. "Patterns Of Development, 1950 To 1983," World Bank - Discussion Papers 41, World Bank.
- Simon Kuznets, 1972. "Foreword to "Economic Research: Retrospect and Prospect, Volume 7, Quantitative Economic Research: Trends and Problems"," NBER Chapters,in: Economic Research: Retrospect and Prospect, Volume 7, Quantitative Economic Research: Trends and Problems, pages -11 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Solomon Fabricant, 1972. "Introduction to "Economic Research: Retrospect and Prospect, Volume 7, Quantitative Economic Research: Trends and Problems"," NBER Chapters,in: Economic Research: Retrospect and Prospect, Volume 7, Quantitative Economic Research: Trends and Problems, pages -9--2 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpicer:03-2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.