A Simultaneous Confidence Corridor for Varying Coefficient Regression with Sparse Functional Data
We consider a varying coefficient regression model for sparse functional data, with time varying response variable depending linearly on some time independent covariates with coefficients as functions of time dependent covariates. Based on spline smoothing, we propose data driven simultaneous confidence corridors for the coefficient functions with asymptotically correct confidence level. Such confidence corridors are useful benchmarks for statistical inference on the global shapes of coefficient functions under any hypotheses. Simulation experiments corroborate with the theoretical results. An example in CD4/HIV study is used to illustrate how inference is made with computable p-values on the effects of smoking, preinfection CD4 cell percentage and age on the CD4 cell percentage of HIV infected patients under treatment.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jianhua Z. Huang, 2002. "Varying-coefficient models and basis function approximations for the analysis of repeated measurements," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(1), pages 111-128, March.
- Weixin Yao & Runze Li, 2013. "New local estimation procedure for a non-parametric regression function for longitudinal data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 75(1), pages 123-138, 01.
- Gabrys, Robertas & HorvÃ¡th, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2010. "Tests for Error Correlation in the Functional Linear Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(491), pages 1113-1125.
- Yao, Fang & Muller, Hans-Georg & Wang, Jane-Ling, 2005. "Functional Data Analysis for Sparse Longitudinal Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 577-590, June.
- Manteiga, Wenceslao Gonzalez & Vieu, Philippe, 2007. "Statistics for Functional Data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 4788-4792, June.
- Liu, Rong & Yang, Lijian, 2010. "Spline-Backfitted Kernel Smoothing Of Additive Coefficient Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 29-59, February.
- Hall, Peter & Titterington, D. M., 1988. "On confidence bands in nonparametric density estimation and regression," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 228-254, October.
- Jianqing Fan, 2000. "Simultaneous Confidence Bands and Hypothesis Testing in Varying-coefficient Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(4), pages 715-731.
- Lan Zhou & Jianhua Z. Huang & Raymond J. Carroll, 2008. "Joint modelling of paired sparse functional data using principal components," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(3), pages 601-619.
- Chiang C-T. & Rice J. A & Wu C. O, 2001. "Smoothing Spline Estimation for Varying Coefficient Models With Repeatedly Measured Dependent Variables," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 605-619, June.
- Wang, Lifeng & Li, Hongzhe & Huang, Jianhua Z., 2008. "Variable Selection in Nonparametric Varying-Coefficient Models for Analysis of Repeated Measurements," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1556-1569.
- Xue, Liugen & Zhu, Lixing, 2007. "Empirical Likelihood for a Varying Coefficient Model With Longitudinal Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 642-654, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2014-002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.