Robust CSR Investment Screening
Although a priori company screening is a constitutive feature of socially responsible investment (SRI) funds, it is not easy to substantiate that such screening effectively differentiates between companies on the basis of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) calibre. Fundamentally, this is because CSR comprises several dimensions for which an undisputed aggregative model is lacking. We assess the robustness of companies CSR rankings with respect to several modelling assumptions. We then build on Ginis transvariation concept to select/reject specific companies in the SRI eligible universe of assets. We illustrate our approach with some specific screening issues as confronted by the ethical advisory committee of a large Belgian bank.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://research.hubrussel.be|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hallerbach, Winfried & Ning, Haikun & Soppe, Aloy & Spronk, Jaap, 2004.
"A framework for managing a portfolio of socially responsible investments,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 517-529, March.
- Hallerbach, W.G.P.M. & Ning, H. & Soppe, A.B.M. & Spronk, J., 2002. "A Framework for Managing a Portfolio of Socially Responsible Investments," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-54-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Graafland, J.J. & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Smid, H., 2004. "Benchmarking of corporate social responsibility : Methodological problems and robustness," Other publications TiSEM 730f0e78-0c51-4c83-bbab-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Graafland, J.J. & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Smid, H., 2004. "Benchmarking of corporate social responsibility: Methodological problems and robustness," MPRA Paper 20771, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ebert, Udo & Welsch, Heinz, 2004. "Meaningful environmental indices: a social choice approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 270-283, March.
- Michela Nardo & Michaela Saisana & Andrea Saltelli & Stefano Tarantola & Anders Hoffman & Enrico Giovannini, 2005. "Handbook on Constructing Composite Indicators: Methodology and User Guide," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2005/3, OECD Publishing.
- Giuseppe Munda, 2005. "“Measuring Sustainability”: A Multi-Criterion Framework," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 117-134, January.
- repec:pal:jorsoc:v:59:y:2008:i:2:d:10.1057_palgrave.jors.2602445 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ness, Barry & Urbel-Piirsalu, Evelin & Anderberg, Stefan & Olsson, Lennart, 2007. "Categorising tools for sustainability assessment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 498-508, January.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "Socially responsible investments: Institutional aspects, performance, and investor behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1723-1742, September.
- Laurens Cherchye & Willem Moesen & Nicky Rogge & Tom Puyenbroeck, 2007. "An Introduction to ‘Benefit of the Doubt’ Composite Indicators," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 82(1), pages 111-145, May.
- Dubbink, G.W. & Graafland, J.J. & Liederkerke, L., 2008. "CSR: Transparency and the role of intermediate organisations," MPRA Paper 17892, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M. Saisana & A. Saltelli & S. Tarantola, 2005. "Uncertainty and sensitivity analysis techniques as tools for the quality assessment of composite indicators," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 168(2), pages 307-323.
- Angela Montanari, 2004. "Linear Discriminant Analysis and Transvariation," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 21(1), pages 71-88, March.
- Krajnc, Damjan & Glavic, Peter, 2005. "How to compare companies on relevant dimensions of sustainability," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 551-563, December.
- L Cherchye & W Moesen & N Rogge & T Van Puyenbroeck & M Saisana & A Saltelli & R Liska & S Tarantola, 2008. "Creating composite indicators with DEA and robustness analysis: the case of the Technology Achievement Index," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan;The OR Society, vol. 59(2), pages 239-251, February.
- Laurens Cherchye & Wim Moesen & Nicky Rogge & Tom Van Puyenbroeck & Michaela Saisana & A. Saltelli & R. Liska & S. Tarantola, 2006. "Creating Composite Indicators with DEA and Robustness Analysis: the case of the Technology Achievement Index," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces0613, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hub:wpecon:200905. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Janssens)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.