A Gravity Model of Russian Trade: The Role of Foreign Direct Investment and Socio-Cultural Similarity
In this paper, we estimated a gravity model of Russian trade using panel data from Russia and 23 OECD member countries. Our estimation results indicate that foreign direct investment and socio-cultural similarity are determining factors in the trade volume between Russia and these developed economies. We also found that the trade and investment activities of Russian firms differ considerably from their counterparts in developed economies.
|Length:||10,  p.|
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186-8603|
Web page: http://www.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/rrc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Oxana Babecká Kucharčuková & Jan Babecký & Martin Raiser, 2012. "Gravity Approach for Modelling International Trade in South-Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States: The Role of Geography, Policy and Institutions," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 277-301, April.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Dieter Schumacher, 2007.
"Estimating Gravity Equations: To Log or Not to Log?,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
739, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Dieter Schumacher, 2009. "Estimating gravity equations: to log or not to log?," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 645-669, June.
- Maureen Lankhuizen & Henri L.F. de Groot & Gert-Jan M. Linders, 2009.
"The Trade-Off between Foreign Direct Investments and Exports: The Role of Multiple Dimensions of Distance,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
09-050/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Maureen Lankhuizen & Henri L. F. de Groot & Gert‐Jan M. Linders, 2011. "The Trade‐Off between Foreign Direct Investments and Exports: The Role of Multiple Dimensions of Distance," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(8), pages 1395-1416, 08.
- Andrzej Cieślik, 2009. "Foreign direct investment and the volume of trade: the case of Poland," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 273-291, November.
- Bogdan Lissovolik & Yaroslav Lissovolik, 2006. "Russia and the WTO: The "Gravity" of Outsider Status," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(1), pages 1.
- Vladimir Popov, 2012. "Russia: austerity and deficit reduction in historical and comparative perspective," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(1), pages 313-334.
- Boisso, Dale & Ferrantino, Michael, 1997. "Economic Distance, Cultural Distance, and Openness in International Trade : Empirical Puzzles," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 12, pages 456-484.
- James R. Markusen, 2004.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, March.
- Markusen, James R., 2002. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MPRA Paper 8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abe, Naohito & Iwasaki, Ichiro, 2010.
"Organizational Culture and Corporate Governance in Russia : A Study of Managerial Turnover,"
RRC Working Paper Series
21, Russian Research Center, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Naohito Abe & Ichiro Iwasaki, 2010. "Organisational culture and corporate governance in Russia: a study of managerial turnover," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 449-470.
- Chengang Wang & Yingqi Wei & Xiaming Liu, 2010. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade Flows in OECD Countries: Evidence from Gravity Panel Data Models," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(7), pages 894-915, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:rrcwps:40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.