Complete Monotonicity of the Representative Consumer's Discount Factor
A univariate real-valued function is said to be completely monotone if it takes positive values and alternate the signs of its higher order derivatives, starting from everywhere negative first derivatives. We prove that the representative consumer's discount factor of a continuous-time economy under uncertainty is a power function of some completely monotone function of time satisfying certain boundary conditions if and only if it may be derived from a group of consumers having constant and equal relative risk aversion, and constant and yet possibly unequal discount rates.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||"August 25, 2007" -- p. 1|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://cis.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiaki Hara, 2009.
"Heterogeneous Impatience in a Continuous-Time Model,"
KIER Working Papers
665, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Hara, Chiaki, 2008. "Heterogeneous Impatience in a Continuous-Time Model," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 396, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Hara, Chiaki, 2009. "Heterogeneous Impatience in a Continuous-Time Model," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 425, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Chiaki Hara, 2006.
"Heterogeneous Risk Attitudes In A Continuous-Time Model,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(3), pages 377-405.
- Chiaki Hara, 2005. "Heterogeneous Risk Attitudes in a Continuous-Time Model," KIER Working Papers 609, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Ogaki, Masao & Zhang, Qiang, 2001.
"Decreasing Relative Risk Aversion and Tests of Risk Sharing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 515-26, March.
- Masao Ogaki & Qiang Zhang, 1998. "Decreasing Relative Risk Aversion and Tests of Risk Sharing," Working Papers 98-02, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Masao Ogaki & Qiang Zhang, 2000. "Decreasing Relative Risk Aversion and Tests of Risk Sharing," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1588, Econometric Society.
- Robert M. Townsend, .
"Risk and Insurance in Village India,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
91-3a, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Maurizio Mazzocco & Shiv Saini, 2006. "Testing Efficient Risk Sharing with Heterogeneous Risk Preferences: Semi-parametric Tests with an Application to Village Economies," 2006 Meeting Papers 108, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Barsky, Robert B, et al, 1997. "Preference Parameters and Behavioral Heterogeneity: An Experimental Approach in the Health and Retirement Study," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(2), pages 537-79, May.
- Maurizio Mazzocco & Shiv Saini, 2012. "Testing Efficient Risk Sharing with Heterogeneous Risk Preferences," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(1), pages 428-68, February.
- Christian Gollier & Richard Zeckhauser, 2005. "Aggregation of Heterogeneous Time Preferences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(4), pages 878-896, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:piecis:367. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.