Heterogeneous Impatience in a Continuous-Time Model
In a continuous-time economy with complete markets, we show how the heterogeneity in the individual consumers' risk attitudes and impatience would affect the representative consumer's counterparts. Specifically, our formulas tell us how his risk tolerance and impatience will change over time, and how his impatience will be affected by the changes in aggregate consumption levels. Under the assumption of equal and constant relative risk aversion across individual consumers, we characterize his discount factor by means of a completely monotone function of time. These results are used to analyze short-rate processes.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Note:||October 25, 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186-8603|
Web page: http://cis.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Lettau & Sydney Ludvigson & Jessica A. Wachter, 2005.
"The declining equity premium: what role does macroeconomic risk play?,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages -.
- Martin Lettau & Sydney C. Ludvigson & Jessica A. Wachter, 2008. "The Declining Equity Premium: What Role Does Macroeconomic Risk Play?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(4), pages 1653-1687, July.
- Martin Lettau & Sydney C. Ludvigson & Jessica A. Wachter, 2004. "The Declining Equity Premium: What Role Does Macroeconomic Risk Play?," NBER Working Papers 10270, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Lettau & Sydney C. Ludvigson, 2004. "The Declining Equity Premium: What Role Does Macroeconomic Risk Play?," 2004 Meeting Papers 644, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lettau, Martin & Ludvigson, Sydney & Wachter, Jessica, 2006. "The Declining Equity Premium: What Role Does Macroeconomic Risk Play?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5519, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chiaki Hara, 2007.
"Complete Monotonicity of the Representative Consumer's Discount Factor,"
KIER Working Papers
636, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Hara, Chiaki, 2008. "Complete monotonicity of the representative consumer's discount factor," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(12), pages 1321-1331, December.
- Hara, Chiaki, 2008. "Complete Monotonicity of the Representative Consumer's Discount Factor," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 367, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Chiaki Hara, 2005.
"Heterogeneous Risk Attitudes in a Continuous-Time Model,"
KIER Working Papers
609, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Chiaki Hara, 2006. "Heterogeneous Risk Attitudes In A Continuous-Time Model," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(3), pages 377-405.
- Christian Gollier & Richard Zeckhauser, 2005. "Aggregation of Heterogeneous Time Preferences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(4), pages 878-896, August.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Ellen R. McGrattan & Anna Scherbina, 2001.
"The Declining U.S. Equity Premium,"
NBER Working Papers
8172, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:piecis:396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.