Pay-as-you-speed:An economic field-experiment
We report a vehicle-fleet experiment with an economic incentive given to car drivers for keeping within speed limits. A pay-as-you-speed traffic insurance scheme was simulated with a monthly participation bonus that was reduced by a non-linear speeding penalty. Actual speed was monitored by a GPS in-vehicle device. Participating drivers were randomly assigned into two-by two treatment groups, with different participation-bonus and penalty levels, and two control groups (high and low participation bonus, but no penalty). A third control group consists of drivers with the same technical equipment who did not participate but whose driving could be monitored. We evaluate changes in behaviour from twelve-month differences in proportion of driving time per month that the car was exceeding the maximum allowed speed on the road. We find that the participating drivers significantly reduced severe speeding violations during the first experiment month, while in the second experiment month, after having received feedback reports with an account of earned payments, only those participating subjects that were given a speeding penalty reduced severe speed violations. We find no significant effects from the size of the participation bonus (high vs. low), or the size of the penalty (high vs. low rate).
|Date of creation:||26 Aug 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: VTI, Transport Economics, P.O. Box 6056, SE-171 06 Solna, Sweden|
Phone: +46-13-20 40 00
Fax: +46-13-14 14 36
Web page: http://www.vti.se/tek
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shogren, Jason F. & Crocker, Thomas D., 1991.
"Risk, self-protection, and ex ante economic value,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Jason F. Shogren & Thomas D. Crocker, 1990. "Risk, Self-Protection, and Ex Ante Economic Value," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 90-wp57, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Crocker, Thomas D., 1991. "Risk, Self-Protection, and Ex Ante Economic Value," Staff General Research Papers Archive 334, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David Hemenway, 1990. "Propitious Selection," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(4), pages 1063-1069.
- Gunnar Lindberg, 2001. "Traffic Insurance and Accident Externality Charges," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 35(3), pages 399-416, September.
- De Meza, D. & Webb, D.C., 2000.
"Advantageous Selection in Insurance Market,"
0007, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:vtiwps:2009_008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mats Berggren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.