Welfare Equivalent NNP and Habit Formation
This note concerns the importance of habit formation for social accounting. With internal habit formation, earlier procedures for welfare measurement in the first best apply with minor modifications. This result strengthens the idea behind using the comprehensive net national product as a welfare indicator. If, on the other hand, part of the habit formation is exogenous to each consumer, the exact welfare measure will also reflect the associated external effect.
|Date of creation:||10 Apr 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carrasco, Raquel & Labeaga Azcona, J Maria & López-Salido, J David, 2002.
"Consumption and Habits: Evidence from Panel Data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3520, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1976.
"On the Welfare Significance of National Product in a Dynamic Economy,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 156-62, February.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1974. "On the Welfare Significance of National Product in Dynamic Economy," Working papers 125, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Karen E. Dynan, 2000. "Habit Formation in Consumer Preferences: Evidence from Panel Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 391-406, June.
- Woittiez, Isolde & Kapteyn, Arie, 1998. "Social interactions and habit formation in a model of female labour supply," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 185-205, November.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi Caball?Author-Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & Xavier Raurich, .
"Growth, Habit Formation, and Catching-up\ with the Joneses,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
497.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Alonso-Carrera, Jaime & Caballe, Jordi & Raurich, Xavier, 2005. "Growth, habit formation, and catching-up with the Joneses," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1665-1691, August.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Lofgren, Karl-Gustaf, 1999. "Pollution tax design and 'Green' national accounting," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(8), pages 1457-1474, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:umnees:0680. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.