Promoting Econometrics through econometrica 1933-39
The journal of the Econometric Society, Econometrica, was established in 1933 and edited by Ragnar Frisch for the first 22 years. As a new journal Econometrica had three key characteristics. First, it was devoted to a research program stated in few but significant words in the constitution of the Econometric Society and for many years printed in every issue of the journal. Second, it was the first international journal in economics. Third, it was the journal of association (Econometric Society) with members committed to a serious interest in econometrics. The paper gives a brief account of the circumstances around the establishment of the journal and of the relationship between Frisch and Alfred Cowles 3rd who in various capacities played a major role in launching the journal and keeping it going. It furthermore conveys observations and comments related to the editing of the first seven volumes of Econometrica, i.e. 1933-39. The main aim of the paper is to shed light on how the editor and a small core group of econometrician attempted to promote econometrics via Econometrica. The paper is overwhelmingly based on unpublished material from Frisch’s editorial files. Editorial principles, controversies, and style are illuminated through excerpts from the editorial correspondence. The paper was presented at ESEM-67, University of Gothenburg, 26-30 August, 2013.
|Date of creation:||23 Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barnett, Vincent, 2004. "E. E. Slutsky: Mathematical Statistician, Economist, and Political Economist?," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 5-18, March.
- Benno Torgler & Marco Piatti, 2011.
"A Century of American Economic Review,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2011-04, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Benno Torgler & Marco Piatti, 2011. "A Century of American Economic Review," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 266, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Torgler, Benno & Piatti, Marco, 2011. "A Century of American Economic Review," Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics, Working Paper Series qt6h59v4m6, Berkeley Olin Program in Law & Economics.
- Benno Torgler & Marco Piatti, 2011. "A Century of American Economic Review," Working Papers 2011.27, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- P. J. Lloyd, 2001. "The Origins of the von Thünen-Mill-Pareto-Wicksell-Cobb-Douglas Function," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 33(1), pages 1-19, Spring.
- Frisch, Ragnar, 1970.
"From Utopian Theory to Practical Applications: The Case of Econometrics,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1969-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Frisch, Ragnar, 1981. "From Utopian Theory to Practical Applications: The Case of Econometrics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(6), pages 1-16, Special I.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2013_028. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magnus Gabriel Aase)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.