Estimation in Binary Choice Models with Measurement Errors
In this paper we develop a simple maximum likelihood estimator for probit models where the regressors have measurement error. We first assume precise information about the reliability ratios (or, equivalently, the proxy correlations) of the regressors. We then show how reasonable bounds for the parameter estimates can be obtained when only imprecise information is available. The analysis is also extended to situations where the measurement error has non-zero mean and is correlated with the true values of the regressors. An extensive simulation study shows that the estimator works very well, even in quite small samples. Finally the method is applied to data explaining sick leave in Sweden.
|Date of creation:||16 Apr 2003|
|Date of revision:||07 Jul 2003|
|Note:||Gauss program available|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klepper, Steven & Leamer, Edward E, 1984. "Consistent Sets of Estimates for Regressions with Errors in All Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 163-83, January.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 1985.
"Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 370-79, October.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 2002. "Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 88-97, January.
- Bound, John & Brown, Charles & Mathiowetz, Nancy, 2001. "Measurement error in survey data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 59, pages 3705-3843 Elsevier.
- Kao, Chihwa & Schnell, John F., 1987. "Errors in variables in a random-effects probit model for panel data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 339-342.
- Whitney Newey, 1999.
"Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation of Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models,"
99-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey, 2001. "Flexible Simulated Moment Estimation Of Nonlinear Errors-In-Variables Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 616-627, November.
- Amemiya, Yasuo, 1985. "Instrumental variable estimator for the nonlinear errors-in-variables model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 273-289, June.
- Hsiao, Cheng & Wang, Q Kevin, 2000. "Estimation of Structural Nonlinear Errors-in-Variables Models by Simulated Least-Squares Method," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(2), pages 523-42, May.
- Kao, Chihwa & Schnell, John F., 1987. "Errors in variables in panel data with a binary dependent variable," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 45-49.
- Li, Tong, 2002. "Robust and consistent estimation of nonlinear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 1-26, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2003_004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.