On the Role of Pricing Exports in a Third Currency
The share of Swedish exports that are invoiced in U.S. dollars has doubled comparing a sample from 1968 with figures from 1993. There has been no corresponding increase in Swedish trade with the United States. This serves as motivation for our interest in price setting/invoicing in a third currency. We investigate the role of pricing in the importers', exporter's or a third currency in a simple model with pre-set prices. The firm of study is a risk neutral monopolist exporter who faces a linear demand curbe. Expected prices, quantities and profits depend on the price setting currency chosen. Also the curvature of realised profits as a function of exchange rate surprises depends on the price setting currency chosen. In an extension we discuss the role of competition from a third country in a model of Bertrand competition in differentiated goods.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Journal of International Economics.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Stanley W., 1985. "International money and international monetary arrangements," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1153-1193 Elsevier.
- Robert F. Owen & Stylianos Perrakis, 1988. "An International Duopoly Model Under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 39(5), pages 1035-1060.
- Magee, Stephen P & Rao, Ramesh K S, 1980. "Vehicle and Nonvehicle Currencies in International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 368-73, May.
- Eric Fisher, 1987.
"A model of exchange rate pass-through,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
302, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Marston, R.C., 1996. "The Effects of Industry Structure on Economic Exposure," Weiss Center Working Papers 96-3, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Richard C. Marston, 1996. "The Effects of Industry Structure on Economic Exposure," NBER Working Papers 5518, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1988.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
NBER Working Papers
2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Baron, David P, 1976. "Fluctuating Exchange Rates and the Pricing of Exports," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(3), pages 425-38, September.
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. " Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 197-231, June.
- Marston, Richard C., 1990. "Pricing to market in Japanese manufacturing," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 217-236, November.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1988. "Exchange rates and traded goods prices," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 45-68, February.
- Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1994.
"Bargaining in international trade under exchange rate uncertainty,"
Discussion Papers, Series II
215, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1995. "Bargaining in International Trade under Exchange-Rate Uncertainty," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 249-63, October.
- Donnenfeld, S. & Zilcha, I., 1993. "Barganing in International Trade under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Papers 13-93, Tel Aviv.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- S.A.B. Page, 1977. "Currency of Invoicing in Merchandise Trade," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 81(1), pages 77-81, August.
- Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1991.
"Pricing of Exports and Exchange Rate Uncertainty,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1009-22, November.
- Ahtiala, Pekka & Orgler, Yair E., 1995. "The optimal pricing of exports invoiced in different currencies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 61-77, April.
- Timothy A Luehrman, 1990. "The Exchange Rate Exposure of a Global Competitor," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 21(2), pages 225-242, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:hastef:0128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.