On the Role of Pricing Exports in a Third Currency
The share of Swedish exports that are invoiced in U.S. dollars has doubled comparing a sample from 1968 with figures from 1993. There has been no corresponding increase in Swedish trade with the United States. This serves as motivation for our interest in price setting/invoicing in a third currency. We investigate the role of pricing in the importers', exporter's or a third currency in a simple model with pre-set prices. The firm of study is a risk neutral monopolist exporter who faces a linear demand curbe. Expected prices, quantities and profits depend on the price setting currency chosen. Also the curvature of realised profits as a function of exchange rate surprises depends on the price setting currency chosen. In an extension we discuss the role of competition from a third country in a model of Bertrand competition in differentiated goods.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1996|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in Journal of International Economics.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert F. Owen & Stylianos Perrakis, 1988. "An International Duopoly Model Under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 39(5), pages 1035-1060.
- Baron, David P, 1976. "Fluctuating Exchange Rates and the Pricing of Exports," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(3), pages 425-438, September.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1988. "Exchange rates and traded goods prices," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 45-68, February.
- Magee, Stephen P & Rao, Ramesh K S, 1980. "Vehicle and Nonvehicle Currencies in International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 368-373, May.
- Marston, Richard C., 1990. "Pricing to market in Japanese manufacturing," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 217-236, November.
- Ahtiala, Pekka & Orgler, Yair E., 1995. "The optimal pricing of exports invoiced in different currencies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 61-77, April.
- Richard C. Marston, 1996. "The Effects of Industry Structure on Economic Exposure," NBER Working Papers 5518, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1995.
"Bargaining in International Trade under Exchange-Rate Uncertainty,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 249-263, October.
- Donnenfeld, S. & Zilcha, I., 1993. "Barganing in International Trade under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Papers 13-93, Tel Aviv.
- Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1994. "Bargaining in international trade under exchange rate uncertainty," Discussion Papers, Series II 215, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-654, September.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1988. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," NBER Working Papers 2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S.A.B. Page, 1977. "Currency of Invoicing in Merchandise Trade," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 81(1), pages 77-81, August.
- Donnenfeld, Shabtai & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1991. "Pricing of Exports and Exchange Rate Uncertainty," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1009-1022, November.
- Donnenfeld, S. & Zilcha, I., 1989. "Pricing Of Exports And Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Papers 12-89, Tel Aviv.
- Timothy A Luehrman, 1990. "The Exchange Rate Exposure of a Global Competitor," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 21(2), pages 225-242, June.
- Marston, R.C., 1996. "The Effects of Industry Structure on Economic Exposure," Weiss Center Working Papers 96-3, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-345, July.
- Black, Stanley W., 1985. "International money and international monetary arrangements," Handbook of International Economics,in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1153-1193 Elsevier.
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. " Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 197-231, June.
- Fisher, Eric, 1989. "A model of exchange rate pass-through," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 119-137, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:hastef:0128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.