Small Scale Industries, Transactions Costs and Reform: The Case of Tanzania
There has been a revival of interest in small scale industries and their linkages with a nation's institutional arrangements, among both academicians and policy makers. Extending the definition of institutions to include formal and informal rules, this paper attempts to identify these lingages using the technique of transaction costs. Applying this to the economic environment of small firms in Tanzania, a country presently undergoing transition from a socialist to a market oriented economic system, it is found that transaction costs have been high among Tanzania's small firms owing to certain institutional factors which have shaped the country's developmental history. Among the most important identified are tha official ideology alien to small scale production, direct intervintion of the government and weak linkages between parastatals and small firms. It is argued that institutional rigidities constitute a main source of high transaction costs during the period of transition, as well as a challenge for the development of a dynamic small scale industrial sector in the future.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-376115 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bagachwa, M. S. D. & Naho, A., 1995. "Estimating the second economy in Tanzania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 1387-1399, August.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521348911 is not listed on IDEAS
- E. West & R. Staaf, 1981. "Rejoinder," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 647-650, January.
- Kornai, Janos, 1992. "The Socialist System: The Political Economy of Communism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287766.
- Hyden, Goran & Karlstrom, Bo, 1993. "Structural adjustment as a policy process: The case of Tanzania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1395-1404, September.
- Levy, Brian, 1993. "Obstacles to Developing Indigenous Small and Medium Enterprises: An Empirical Assessment," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 7(1), pages 65-83, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:hastef:0124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.