Industrial effects on resource acquisition: Immigrant enterprises in Kista, Stockholm
This paper is based on seven in-depth case studies of small businesses in Kista, Stockholm’s most northern district. This district provides an interesting example with its high technology setting, mixed with considerable numbers of immigrants living in the area. All the firms are led by people who have immigrant background, and therefore they all have ethnic minority backgrounds, either in terms of country of origin or as belonging to a definable ethnic group. The guiding question is if one can find differences between high tech and service-based immigrant businesses in terms of how they use ethnic resources in their resource acquisition efforts. In the case studies we explore (i) how ethnic resources contribute to the acquisition of crucial resources for these firms, and (ii) the utilization of ethnic resources indicates the influence and importance of ethnic minority background for immigrant businesses in different industries. The results show differences in what sources these firms use for acquiring resources. The service-based firms utilise ethnic resources to a greater extent than the high tech firms. These differences influence the importance of the business owners’ ethnic minority backgrounds.
|Date of creation:||28 Mar 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies, Royal Institute of Technology, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 790 95 63
Web page: http://www.infra.kth.se/cesis/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van De Ven, H., 1993. "The development of an infrastructure for entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 211-230, May.
- Ardichvili, Alexander & Cardozo, Richard & Ray, Sourav, 2003. "A theory of entrepreneurial opportunity identification and development," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 105-123, January.
- Astrid Romain & Ant Bozkaya & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2003.
"Surveying technology-based small firms: a perspective from Belgium,"
Working Papers CEB
04-020.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bozkaya, Ant & Romain, Astrid & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003. "Surveying Technology-Based Small Firms: A Perspective From Belgium," IIR Working Paper 03-23, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Pitelis, Christos (ed.), 2002. "The Growth of the Firm: The Legacy of Edith Penrose," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199248520, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cesisp:0056. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vardan Hovsepyan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.