Resale Price Maintenance And Up-Front Payments: Achieving Horizontal Control Under Seller And Buyer Power
We consider a setting where an upstream producer and a competitive fringe of producers of a substitute product may sell their products to two differentiated downstream retailers. We investigate two different contracting games; one with seller power and a second game with buyer power. In each game we characterize the minimum set of vertical restraints that make the vertically integrated profit sustainable as an equilibrium outcome, and we also characterize sufficient conditions for having interlocking relationships (i.e. no exclusion). In line with the recent literature, we focus on the performance of simple two-part tariffs, upfront payments and RPM as facilitating devices for reducing competition under both buyer and seller power. With seller power we show that minimum RPM, possibly coupled with a quantity roof, will allow the manufacturer to induce industry wide monopoly prices. With buyer power we show that monopoly prices may be induced if the retailers may use an upfront fee together with a two-part tariff and a minimum RPM.
|Date of creation:||11 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Institutt for økonomi, Universitetet i Bergen, Postboks 7802, 5020 Bergen, Norway|
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2007.
"A Primer on Foreclosure,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & Johansen, Bjørn Olav, 2015.
"Buyer power and exclusion in vertically related markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 1-18.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & Johansen, Bjørn Olav, 2012. "Buyer power and exclusion in vertically related markets," Working Papers in Economics 01/12, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1998.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(1), pages 64-103, February.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1996. "Exclusive Dealing," NBER Working Papers 5666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernheim, B.D., 1992. "Exclusive Dealing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1622, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, . "Exclusive Dealing," Working Papers 96008, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Roman Inderst & Greg Shaffer, 2010. "Market-share contracts as facilitating practices," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 41(4), pages 709-729.
- Jullien, Bruno & Rey, Patrick, 2000.
"Resale Price Maintenance and Collusion,"
IDEI Working Papers
102, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Patrick REY & Thibaud VERGE, 2009.
"Resale Price Maintenance and Interlocking Relationships,"
2009-11, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Patrick Rey & Thibaud Vergé, 2010. "Resale Price Maintenance And Interlocking Relationships," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 928-961, December.
- Jeanine Miklós‐Thal & Patrick Rey & Thibaud Vergé, 2011.
"Buyer Power And Intrabrand Coordination,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 721-741, 08.
- Hamilton, Stephen F. & Innes, Robert, 2006.
"Vertical Restraints and Horizontal Control,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21424, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Daniel P. O'Brien & Greg Shaffer, 1997. "Nonlinear Supply Contracts, Exclusive Dealing, and Equilibrium Market Foreclosure," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 755-785, December.
- Ilya Segal & Michael D. Whinston, 2003. "Robust Predictions for Bilateral Contracting with Externalities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 757-791, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bergec:2013_002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell Erik Lommerud)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.