Resale Price Maintenance And Up-Front Payments: Achieving Horizontal Control Under Seller And Buyer Power
We consider a setting where an upstream producer and a competitive fringe of producers of a substitute product may sell their products to two differentiated downstream retailers. We investigate two different contracting games; one with seller power and a second game with buyer power. In each game we characterize the minimum set of vertical restraints that make the vertically integrated profit sustainable as an equilibrium outcome, and we also characterize sufficient conditions for having interlocking relationships (i.e. no exclusion). In line with the recent literature, we focus on the performance of simple two-part tariffs, upfront payments and RPM as facilitating devices for reducing competition under both buyer and seller power. With seller power we show that minimum RPM, possibly coupled with a quantity roof, will allow the manufacturer to induce industry wide monopoly prices. With buyer power we show that monopoly prices may be induced if the retailers may use an upfront fee together with a two-part tariff and a minimum RPM.
|Date of creation:||11 Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Institutt for økonomi, Universitetet i Bergen, Postboks 7802, 5020 Bergen, Norway|
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2007.
"A Primer on Foreclosure,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
- Hamilton, Stephen F. & Innes, Robert, 2006.
"Vertical Restraints and Horizontal Control,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21424, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & Johansen, Bjørn Olav, 2015.
"Buyer power and exclusion in vertically related markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 1-18.
- Gabrielsen, Tommy Staahl & Johansen, Bjørn Olav, 2012. "Buyer power and exclusion in vertically related markets," Working Papers in Economics 01/12, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, "undated".
96008, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Bernheim, B.D., 1992. "Exclusive Dealing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1622, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1996. "Exclusive Dealing," NBER Working Papers 5666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miklos-Thal, Jeanine & Rey, Patrick & Vergé, Thibaud, 2008.
"Buyer Power and Intraband Coordination,"
IDEI Working Papers
500, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bruno Jullien & Patrick Rey, 2007.
"Resale price maintenance and collusion,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 38(4), pages 983-1001, December.
- Roman Inderst & Greg Shaffer, 2010. "Market-share contracts as facilitating practices," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 41(4), pages 709-729.
- Patrick Rey & Thibaud Vergé, 2010.
"Resale Price Maintenance And Interlocking Relationships,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 928-961, December.
- Patrick REY & Thibaud VERGE, 2009. "Resale Price Maintenance and Interlocking Relationships," Working Papers 2009-11, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Daniel P. O'Brien & Greg Shaffer, 1997. "Nonlinear Supply Contracts, Exclusive Dealing, and Equilibrium Market Foreclosure," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 755-785, December.
- Ilya Segal & Michael D. Whinston, 2003. "Robust Predictions for Bilateral Contracting with Externalities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 757-791, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bergec:2013_002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell Erik Lommerud)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.