The Effect on Stock Prices of the Swedish Wealth Tax
The Swedish wealth tax on individuals imposes an interesting, and unusual, asymmetry on listed stocks. Stocks on the A list of the Stockholm Stock Exchange are subject to the wealth tax, whereas stocks on the O list are not (with some exceptions). This paper attempts to discern the valuation effect of this differential tax treatment. In the first place, it uses data relating to some 25 stocks that lost their wealth tax exemption in 1997, to see what that loss meant to stock prices. In the second place, it uses data from 2000 - 2003 to try to detect value differences between two sets of stocks that are subject to different wealth tax treatments. The wealth tax may result in value differences on the order of 5% to 10% on average in certain cases between otherwise comparable groups of stocks. However, the results in this paper are mostly not significant from a statistical point of view.
|Date of creation:||12 Nov 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, SE 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James M. Poterba, 2001.
"Capital Gains Tax Rules, Tax-loss Trading, and Turn-of-the-year Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 353-368, February.
- James M. Poterba & Scott J. Weisbenner, 1998. "Capital Gains Tax Rules, Tax Loss Trading and Turn-of-the-Year Returns," NBER Working Papers 6616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liljeblom, Eva & Loflund, Anders & Hedvall, Kaj, 2001. "Foreign and domestic investors and tax induced ex-dividend day trading," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1687-1716, September.
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan, 1988. "Withdrawn Security Offerings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 119-133, June.
- DeGennaro, Ramon P. & Thomson, James B., 1995. "Anticipating bailouts: The incentive-conflict model and the collapse of the Ohio deposit guarantee fund," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1401-1418, November.
- Ramon P. DeGennaro & James B. Thomson, 1994. "Anticipating bailouts: the incentive-conflict model and the collapse of the Ohio Deposit Guarantee Fund," Working Paper 9407, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhb:hastba:2004_014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.