The Context and Diffusion of Knowledge in the Finnish Jewellery Industry - The role of The House of Fabergé
Researchers within the fields of economic geography and organizational management have extensively studied learning and the prerequisites and impediments for knowledge transfer. This paper combines two discourses within the two subjects: the-communities-of-practice and the learning region approaches, merging them through the so-called ecology of knowledge-approach, which is used to examine the knowledge transfer from the House of Fabergé to the Finnish jewellery industry. We examine the pre-revolution St Petersburg jewellery cluster and the post-revolution Helsinki, and the transfer of knowledge between these two locations through the components of communities of people, institutions and industry. The paper shows that the industrial dynamics of the Finnish modern-day goldsmith industry was inherently shaped both through the transfer and the non-transfer of knowledge. It also contends that the “knowledge-economy” is not anchored in and exclusive for the high technology sector of the late 20th century.
|Date of creation:||02 Sep 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hanken School of Economics, Arkadiankatu 22, P.O.B. 479; FIN 00101 Helsinki, Finland|
Phone: +358-9-431 331
Fax: +358-9-431 33 333
Web page: http://www.hanken.fi
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Asafu-Adjaye, 2004. "Income inequality and health: a multi-country analysis," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(1/2), pages 195 - 207, January.
- Laura Arranz-Aperte & Almas Heshmati, 2004.
"Determinants of Profit Sharing in the Finnish Corporate Sector,"
Indian Economic Review,
Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 39(1), pages 55-79, January.
- Arranz-Aperte, Laura & Heshmati, Almas, 2003. "Determinants of Profit Sharing in the Finnish Corporate Sector," IZA Discussion Papers 776, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Forsman, Maria & Solitander, Nikodemus, 2003. "Network Knowledge versus Cluster Knowledge- The Gordian Knot of Knowledge Transfer Concepts," Working Papers 494, Hanken School of Economics.
- Ekholm, Anders & von Nandelstadh, Alexander, 2004. "Do Analysts Leak Information to Preferred Customers?," Working Papers 505, Hanken School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhb:hanken:0506. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Staffan Dellringer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.