Mega-Events: The effect of the world’s biggest sporting events on local, regional, and national economies
This paper provides an overview of the economics of sports mega-events as well as a review of the existing literature in the field. The paper describes why boosters’ ex ante estimates of the economic impact of large sporting events tend to exaggerate the net economic benefits of these events and surveys the results of a large number of ex post studies of exploring the true impact of mega-events.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in The Business of Sports, Vol. 1, Dennis Howard and Brad Humphreys, eds., (Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers, 2008), 81-99.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (508)793-3362|
Fax: (508) 793-3708
Web page: http://www.holycross.edu/departments/economics/website/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Szymanski, 2001. "Up for the Cup," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 2(4), pages 175-183, October.
- Robert Baade & Victor Matheson, 2004.
"The Quest for the Cup: Assessing the Economic Impact of the World Cup,"
IASE Conference Papers
0406, International Association of Sports Economists.
- Robert Baade & Victor Matheson, 2004. "The Quest for the Cup: Assessing the Economic Impact of the World Cup," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(4), pages 343-354.
- Victor Matheson, 2009.
"Economic Multipliers and Mega-Event Analysis,"
International Journal of Sport Finance,
Fitness Information Technology, vol. 4(1), pages 63-70, February.
- Victor A. Matheson & Robert A. Baade, 2004. "Race and Riots: A Note on the Economic Impact of the Rodney King Riots," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 41(13), pages 2691-2696, December.
- Robert Baade & Robert Baumann & Victor Matheson, 2005. "Predicting the Path to Recovery from Hurricane Katrina through the Lens of Hurricane Andrew and the Rodney King Riots," Working Papers 0515, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Robert A. Baade & Victor A. Matheson, 2001. "Home Run or Wild Pitch?," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 2(4), pages 307-327, November.
- Victor Matheson & Robert Baade, 2005. "Have Public Finance Principles Been Shut Out in Financing New Sports Stadiums for the NFL in the United States?," Working Papers 0511, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- John J. Siegfried & Andrew Zimbalist, 2000. "The Economics of Sports Facilities and Their Communities," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 95-114, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hcx:wpaper:0610. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.