Saint-Simonism and Utilitarianism: the history of a paradox. Bentham's Defence of Usury under Saint-Amand Bazard's Interpretation
This article reveals and studies the connections between Bentham's Defence of Usury (1787) and Saint-Amand Bazard (1791-1832), a founder of Saint-Simonianism. We first traces Bazard's exposure to Bentham through his unknown friendship with Bentham's publisher Etienne Dumont. After introducing in details the Saint-Simonian views on interest and money, we examines the significance of Bazard's translation of Defence of Usury and his shared opposition against usure laws. We explain why the puzzling reference to Benthamite utilitarianism is not fortuitous but appears to justify a common ground between Bentham's utilitarism and Saint-Simonianism. This connection did not survive the July Revolution.
|Date of creation:||23 Dec 2011|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00654847|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilbert Faccarello & Philippe Steiner, 2008. "Religion and Political Economy in Early-Nineteenth-Century France," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 40(5), pages 26-61, Supplemen.
- Giuseppe Coco & David De Meza, 2009.
"In Defense of Usury Laws,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(8), pages 1691-1703, December.
- David De Meza & Giuseppe Coco, 2001. "In Defence of Usury Laws," FMG Discussion Papers dp369, Financial Markets Group.
- Giuseppe Coco & David de Meza, 2001. "In defence of usury laws," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25042, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Murphy, Antoin E., 1997. "John Law: Economic Theorist and Policy-maker," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198286493.
- Nathalie Sigot, 1998. "Les principes d'un système monétaire sain de Bentham," Cahiers d'Économie Politique, Programme National Persée, vol. 32(1), pages 117-140.
- Marco E.L. Guidi, 2009. "Jeremy Bentham," Chapters, in: Handbook of Economics and Ethics, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2010. "Collective interest versus individual interest in Bentham's felicific calculus. Questioning welfarism and fairness," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 607-634.
- José Luís Cardoso & António de Vasconcelos Nogueira, 2005. "Isaac de Pinto (1717-1787): An Enlightened Economist and Financier," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 263-292, Summer.
- Joseph Persky, 2007. "Retrospectives: From Usury to Interest," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 227-236, Winter. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00654847. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.