Les spécificités de la gestion des résultats des entreprises tunisiennes à travers une analyse qualitative
The specificities of earnings management by the Tunisian companies using a qualitative analysis The objective of this paper is to identify the reasons that motivate Tunisian firms to manage earnings and to examine the techniques used for this purpose. The methodology is based in qualitative approach using the interviews and accounting documents. The results show that the minimization of taxation is the major reason for not listed firms to use earnings management. For listed firms, the major reason is to avoid a loss or maintain the earnings. For these purposes, the firms not only profit to the flexibility to accounting policies but also they have recourse to financing and investing transactions.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Publication status:||Published in LA COMPTABILITE, LE CONTRÔLE ET L'AUDIT ENTRE CHANGEMENT ET STABILITE, May 2008, France. pp.CD Rom, 2008|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00524887|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holthausen, Robert W., 1981. "Evidence on the effect of bond covenants and management compensation contracts on the choice of accounting techniques: The case of the depreciation switch-back," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 73-109, March.
- Caroline Lambert & Samuel Sponem, 2005. "Corporate governance and profit manipulation: a French field study," Post-Print halshs-00170340, HAL.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R. & Rajgopal, Shiva, 2005.
"The economic implications of corporate financial reporting,"
Journal of Accounting and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1-3), pages 3-73, December.
- John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey & Shiva Rajgopal, 2004. "The Economic Implications of Corporate Financial Reporting," NBER Working Papers 10550, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R, 1997. " The Operating Performance of Firms Conducting Seasoned Equity Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1823-1850, December.
- Erickson, Merle & Wang, Shiing-wu, 1999. "Earnings management by acquiring firms in stock for stock mergers," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 149-176, April.
- Pourciau, Susan, 1993. "Earnings management and nonroutine executive changes," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-3), pages 317-336, April.
- Robyn McLaughlin & Assem Safieddine & Gopala K. Vasudevan, 1996. "The Operating Performance of Seasoned Equity Issuers: Free Cash Flow and Post-Issue Performance," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 25(4), Winter.
- repec:bla:joares:v:29:y:1991:i:2:p:193-228 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roosenboom, Peter & van der Goot, Tjalling & Mertens, Gerard, 2003. "Earnings management and initial public offerings: Evidence from the Netherlands," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 243-266.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1373 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roychowdhury, Sugata, 2006. "Earnings management through real activities manipulation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 335-370, December.
- repec:bla:joares:v:30:y:1992:i::p:131-153 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sylvie Chalayer Rouchon & Pascal Dumontier, 1996. "Performances économiques et manipulations comptables : une approche empirique," Post-Print halshs-00522684, HAL.
- Gaetan Breton & Alain Schatt, 2003. "Manipulation comptable:les dirigeants et les autres parties prenantes," Working Papers CREGO 1030104, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- DeFond, Mark L. & Park, Chul W., 1997. "Smoothing income in anticipation of future earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 115-139, July.
- Healy, Paul M., 1985. "The effect of bonus schemes on accounting decisions," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1-3), pages 85-107, April.
- Othman, Hakim Ben & Zeghal, Daniel, 2006. "A study of earnings-management motives in the Anglo-American and Euro-Continental accounting models: The Canadian and French cases," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 406-435, 012. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00524887. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.