Etude Des Roles De La Comptabilite De Gestion Pour Les Managers : Le Cas D'Un Grand Groupe Automobile
The non-satisfaction stemming from mainstream perspectives on the use of management accounting by managers is bound to (1) that they suffer from a lack of alignment onto the specificities of managerial work and to (2) that they have produced diffuse and non-integrated knowledge. This paper, by adopting a managerial perspective, informs on the roles of accounting drivers in accordance with the manager's expectations. Based upon a case study of a large organisation, this supplies an analytical framework of the perception and the use of accounting drivers by managers. The literature review supplemented with the empirical study allows the construction of an integrative analysis grill of the roles devoted to accounting: information, decision making, relational and cognitive. Modes of rationality help reveal those meta-roles. These modes are substantial, procedural, partner-centric and cognitive. Afterwards, light was shed on the richness and the co-existence of these roles. This supposedly contributed to a better understanding of the behaviour of managers. Notwithstanding this, it was highlighted that information and relation roles dominate the other two. Moreover, a large cognitive gap between the manager and the accountant could be outlined. This gap is partly due to the inability of the latter to assist the former in accomplishing his organisational roles.
|Date of creation:||May 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in LA COMPTABILITE, LE CONTRÔLE ET L'AUDIT ENTRE CHANGEMENT ET STABILITE, May 2008, France. pp.CD Rom, 2008|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00522472|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sprinkle, Geoffrey B., 2003. "Perspectives on experimental research in managerial accounting," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 287-318.
- Bisbe, Josep & Otley, David, 2004. "The effects of the interactive use of management control systems on product innovation," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 709-737, November.
- T.K. Das, 1999. "Cognitive Biases and Strategic Decision Processes: An Integrative Perspective," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(6), pages 757-778, November.
- Macintosh, Norman B. & Scapens, Robert W., 1990. "Structuration theory in management accounting," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 455-477.
- Ahrens, Thomas & Chapman, Christopher S., 2007. "Management accounting as practice," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 1-27.
- Markus, M. Lynne & Pfeffer, Jeffrey, 1983. "Power and the design and implementation of accounting and control systems," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 205-218, May.
- Henri, Jean-Francois, 2006. "Organizational culture and performance measurement systems," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 77-103, January.
- Jonsson, S., 1998. "Relate management accounting research to managerial work!," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 411-434, May.
- Miller, Peter & O'Leary, Ted, 1987. "Accounting and the construction of the governable person," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 235-265, April.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Macintosh, Norman B. & Shearer, Teri & Thornton, Daniel B. & Welker, Michael, 2000. "Accounting as simulacrum and hyperreality: perspectives on income and capital," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 13-50, January.
- Mattessich, Richard, 2003. "Accounting representation and the onion model of reality: a comparison with Baudrillard's orders of simulacra and his hyperreality," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 443-470, July.
- Scapens, Robert W. & Macintosh, Norman B., 1996. "Structure and agency in management accounting research: A response to Boland's interpretive act," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 21(7-8), pages 675-690.
- Mahmoud Ezzamel, 1997. "Accounting for Management and Managing Accounting: Reflections on Recent Changes in the UK," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 439-463, 05.
- Vandenbosch, Betty, 1999. "An empirical analysis of the association between the use of executive support systems and perceived organizational competitiveness," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 77-92, January.
- Philippe Lorino, 2001. "Le Balanced Scorecard Revisite : Dynamique Strategique Et Pilotage De Performance Exemple D'Une Entreprise Energetique," Post-Print halshs-00584637, HAL.
- Hines, Ruth D., 1988. "Financial accounting: In communicating reality, we construct reality," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 251-261, April.
- Henri, Jean-Francois, 2006. "Management control systems and strategy: A resource-based perspective," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 529-558, August.
- Carla Mendoza & Pierre-Laurent Bescos, 2001. "An explanatory model of managers' information needs: implications for management accounting," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 257-289.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/9203 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cooper, David J. & Hayes, David & Wolf, Frank, 1981. "Accounting in organized anarchies: Understanding and designing accounting systems in ambiguous situations," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 175-191, July.
- Langfield-Smith, Kim, 1997. "Management control systems and strategy: A critical review," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 207-232, February.
- Covaleski, Mark A. & Dirsmith, Mark W., 1991. "The management of legitimacy and politics in public sector administration," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 135-156.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00522472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.