Une critique opérationnelle du welfarisme dans la prise de décision publique
Public decision makers are seeking the highest social welfare possible, hence the satisfaction of individual preferences in the population. How does the operational framework of gathering information on agents preferences affect the quality and the interpretation of public decision?The paper displays a model of decision to allocate a subsidy for public or private transportation. Individual preferences are revealed, at the aggregate level, by individual behaviours in different choice contexts. Using techniques of probability calculus of voting paradoxes developed by Saari, the loss of information due to these particular conditions of data collection are assessed and carefully analysed. Three conclusions are then drawn up: about the reliability of information and the quality of decisions, about formulating models, and about implementing welfarism.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Economie et Prévision, Minefi - Direction de la prévision, 2006, 175-176 (4-5), pp.51-63|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00155130|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mongin, P & d'Aspremont, C, 1996.
"Utility Theory and Ethics,"
9632, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- P. Mongin & C. d'Aspremont, 1996. "Utility theory and ethics," THEMA Working Papers 96-32, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- MONGIN, Philippe & d ASPREMONT, Claude, 1996. "Utility theory and ethics," CORE Discussion Papers 1996063, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MONGIN, Philippe & d'ASPREMONT, Claude, . "Utility theory and ethics," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1423, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sen, Amartya K, 1979. "Personal Utilities and Public Judgements: Or What's Wrong with Welfare Economics?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(355), pages 537-58, September.
- Nick Baigent & Wulf Gaertner, 1996.
"Never choose the uniquely largest A Characterization,"
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 239-249.
- Baigent, Nick & Gaertner, Wulf, 1996. "Never Choose the Uniquely Largest: A Characterization," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 239-49, August.
- Haslett, D. W., 1990. "What is Utility?," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 65-94, April.
- Kapteyn, A.J., 1994.
"The measurement of household cost functions : Revealed preference versus subjective measures,"
1994-3, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kapteyn, Arie, 1994. "The Measurement of Household Cost Functions: Revealed Preference versus Subjective Measures," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 333-50, November.
- Sen, Amartya, 1970. "The Impossibility of a Paretian Liberal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 152-57, Jan.-Feb..
- Sen, Amartya, 1991. "Welfare, preference and freedom," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 15-29, October.
- Wulf Gaertner & Yongsheng Xu, 1999.
"On the structure of choice under different external references,"
Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 609-620.
- Wulf Gaertner & Yongsheng Xu,, . "On the Structure of Choice Under Different External References," Discussion Papers 97/19, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Bruno S. Frey & Alois Stutzer, 1999. "Measuring Preferences by Subjective Well-Being," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 155(4), pages 755-778, December.
- Sen, Amartya Kumar, 1970. "The Impossibility of a Paretian Liberal," Scholarly Articles 3612779, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Sen, Amartya, 1993. "Internal Consistency of Choice," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 495-521, May.
- Wulf Gaertner & Yongsheng Xu,, . "Rationality and External Reference," Discussion Papers 96/17, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- G.A. Cohen, 1990. "Equality of What? On Welfare, Goods and Capabilities," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 1990035, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Saari,Donald G., 2001. "Decisions and Elections," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521808163, 1.
- Saari,Donald G., 2001. "Decisions and Elections," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521004046, 1.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00155130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.