Fonds de pension américains : une évaluation du risque macroéconomique
The American pension funds system reinforces the sensibility of the American economy to financial markets fluctuations. Market risk is supported by companies as concerns defined benefits funds (DB) and by households as regards defined contributions plans (DC). DC funds are often over-invested in shares of their own company. DB funds are currently underfunded. Our calculations suggest that a 50bp fall in long term interest rates may worsen the net wealth of private DB funds by around 90 billion $. The Pension Funding Equity Act may substantially lessen the macroeconomic risk stemming from these financial problems. By raising the regulatory actualization rate applied to future pension payments by DB funds, it could help resolving underfunding in the end of 2004 under reasonable assumptions as regards financial markets. Moreover, the burden on trend labor productivity gains associated with the refunding of DB funds in the 5 forthcoming years could also be substantially slashed.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Publication status:||Published in Revue d'Economie financière, 2004|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01294346|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John B. Shoven, 1999. "The Location and Allocation of Assets in Pension and Conventional Savings Accounts," NBER Working Papers 7007, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Nellie Liang & Scott Weisbenner, 2002. "Investor behavior and the purchase of company stock in 401(k) plans - the importance of plan design," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Simon H. Kwan, 2003. "Underfunding of private pension plans," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue jun13.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-01294346. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.