Plug-in estimation of level sets in a non-compact setting with applications in multivariate risk theory
This paper deals with the problem of estimating the level sets of an unknown distribution function $F$. A plug-in approach is followed. That is, given a consistent estimator $F_n$ of $F$, we estimate the level sets of $F$ by the level sets of $F_n$. In our setting no compactness property is a priori required for the level sets to estimate. We state consistency results with respect to the Hausdorff distance and the volume of the symmetric difference. Our results are motivated by applications in multivariate risk theory. In this sense we also present simulated and real examples which illustrate our theoretical results.
|Date of creation:||08 Feb 2013|
|Publication status:||Published in ESAIM: Probability and Statistics, EDP Sciences, 2013, 17, pp.236-256. <10.1051/ps/2011161>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00580624v3|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Embrechts, Paul & Puccetti, Giovanni, 2006. "Bounds for functions of multivariate risks," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 526-547, February.
- Masse, J. C. & Theodorescu, R., 1994. "Halfplane Trimming for Bivariate Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 188-202, February.
- Dehaan, L. & Huang, X., 1995. "Large Quantile Estimation in a Multivariate Setting," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 247-263, May.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Cadre, BenoI^t, 2006. "Kernel estimation of density level sets," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(4), pages 999-1023, April.
- Belzunce, F. & Castano, A. & Olvera-Cervantes, A. & Suarez-Llorens, A., 2007. "Quantile curves and dependence structure for bivariate distributions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 5112-5129, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00580624. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.