De L'Impact Des Normes Comptables Sur Le Comportement Des Managers : Le Cas Des Trésoriers D'Entreprise
This article is about the impact of accounting standards, especially the change thereof, on the behavior of managers. The latter are in our case corporate treasurers. Relying on around fifty semi-open interviews, we find that corporate treasurers tend to apply an accounting logic that may be in contradiction with the optimal economic management of the firm. This is in line with the scarce literature on the topic. The fear of increased volatility of earnings is central to their concerns. Also, the complexity of the process for qualifying financial instruments as hedging ones is key. However, we also show that the behaviors of the corporate treasurers toward these factors are neither stable nor homogeneous. They are rather the outcome of a collective learning process in which the corporate treasurer is only an actor. Therefore, we show how the map tends to redraw the territory.
|Date of creation:||21 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00691040|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laux, Christian & Leuz, Christian, 2009.
"Did fair-value accounting contribute to the financial crisis?,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2009/22, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christian Laux & Christian Leuz, 2010. "Did Fair-Value Accounting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(1), pages 93-118, Winter.
- Christian Laux & Christian Leuz, 2009. "Did Fair-Value Accounting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?," NBER Working Papers 15515, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mary Barth & Wayne Landsman, 2010. "How did Financial Reporting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 399-423.
- Jackson, Scott B. & Rodgers, Theodore C. & Tuttle, Brad, 2010. "The effect of depreciation method choice on asset selling prices," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 757-774, November.
- Arnold, Patricia J., 2009. "Global financial crisis: The challenge to accounting research," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 34(6-7), pages 803-809, August.
- Fatima Alali & Bikki Jaggi, 2011. "Earnings versus capital ratios management: role of bank types and SFAS 114," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 105-132, January.
- Zhang, Haiwen, 2009. "Effect of derivative accounting rules on corporate risk-management behavior," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 244-264, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:gemptp:hal-00691040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.