Student loans and the allocation of graduate jobs
In an economy where graduate jobs are allocated by tournament, and some of the potential participants cannot borrow against their expected future earnings, the government can increase efficiency and ex ante equity by redistributing wealth or, if that is not possible, by borrowing wholesale and lending to potential participants. Both policies replace some of the less able rich with some of the more able poor and bring education investments closer to their first-best levels.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via delle Pandette 9 50127 - Firenze - Italy|
Phone: +39 055 2759582
Web page: http://www.disei.unifi.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karla Hoff & Andrew B. Lyon, 1994.
"Non-Leaky Buckets: Optimal Redistributive Taxation and Agency Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
4652, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoff, Karla & Lyon, Andrew B., 1995. "Non-leaky buckets: Optimal redistributive taxation and agency costs," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 365-390, November.
- Michael Peters & Aloysius Siow, 2001.
"Competing Premarital Investment,"
peters-01-02, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Banks, Jeffrey S & Sobel, Joel, 1987.
"Equilibrium Selection in Signaling Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 647-661, May.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Abigail McKnight & Robin Naylor & Jeremy Smith, 2004.
"Higher education outcomes, graduate employment and university performance indicators,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 167(3), pages 475-496.
- Bratti, Massimiliano & McKnight, Abigail & Naylor, Robin & Smith, Jeremy, 2003. "Higher Education Outcomes, Graduate Employment and University Performance Indicators," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 692, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Becker, Gary S, 1973. "A Theory of Marriage: Part I," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 813-846, July-Aug..
- Alessandro Cigno & Annalisa Luporini, 2003.
"Scholarships or Student Loans? Subsidizing Higher Education in the Presence of Moral Hazard,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
973, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alessandro Cigno & Annalisa Luporini, 2009. "Scholarships or Student Loans? Subsidizing Higher Education in the Presence of Moral Hazard," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 11(1), pages 55-87, 02.
- Robert J. Gary-Bobo & Alain Trannoy, 2008. "Efficient Tuition Fees and Examinations," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 6(6), pages 1211-1243, December.
- Raquel Fernández & Jordi Gali, 1999. "To Each According to …? Markets, Tournaments, and the Matching Problem with Borrowing Constraints," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(4), pages 799-824.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:frz:wpaper:wp2013_15.rdf. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giorgio Ricchiuti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.