Value Relevance of the Fair Value Hierarchy of IFRS 7 in Europe - How reliable are mark-to-model Fair Values ?
According to IFRS 7, banks have to disclose the inputs used in measuring the fair value of financial instruments. For this purpose the standard defines a three-level measurement hierarchy. The reliability of fair values is expected to decrease with decreasing hierarchy level due to the lower quality of the input factors. Using a value relevance research setting, I find that investors perceive the reliability of level 3 fair values as significantly lower than the reliability of level 1 fair values. However, in contrast to expectations, level 2 fair values are not perceived as less reliable. Thus, investors only doubt the reliability of fair values whose inputs are based on discretionary assumptions. Additionally, this paper analyses the impact of the reclassification of financial assets and of the regulatory capital ratio on the reliability of fair values. While I find a weakly significant impact of the regulatory capital ratio, the reclassification has in general no influence on the reliability of reported fair values.
|Date of creation:||03 Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bd de Pérolles 90, CH-1700 Fribourg|
Phone: +41 26 300 8200
Fax: +41 26 300 9725
Web page: http://www.unifr.ch/ses/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillaume Plantin & Haresh Sapra & Hyun Song Shin, 2008.
"Fair Value Accounting and Financial Stability,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/4af62emkjr9, Sciences Po.
- Geoffrey Whittington, 2008. "Fair Value and the IASB/FASB Conceptual Framework Project: An Alternative View," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 44(2), pages 139-168.
- Eccher, Elizabeth A. & Ramesh, K. & Thiagarajan, S. Ramu, 1996. "Fair value disclosures by bank holding companies," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-3), pages 79-117, October.
- Laux, Christian & Leuz, Christian, 2009.
"The crisis of fair value accounting: Making sense of the recent debate,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2009/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Laux, Christian & Leuz, Christian, 2009. "The crisis of fair-value accounting: Making sense of the recent debate," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 34(6-7), pages 826-834, August.
- Ahmed, Anwer S. & Takeda, Carolyn, 1995. "Stock market valuation of gains and losses on commercial banks' investment securities An empirical analysis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 207-225, September.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2005.
"Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches,"
NBER Working Papers
11280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2009. "Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 435-480, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fri:fribow:fribow00439. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivo raemy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.