Dynamic shoe-leather costs in a shopping-time model of money
A general-equilibrium shopping-time model of money demand is used to obtain estimates of some dynamic costs of inflation under alternative monetary policy rules. After examining the welfare implications of steady-state inflation, dynamic welfare costs are evaluated for inflation-targeting and price-level targeting regimes in a stochastic setting in which agents are uncertain about the underlying inflation trend. The regimes are distinguished by the presence or absence of a unit root in the money supply and the price level. Uncertainty about the underlying inflation rate is introduced as a mechanism for modeling the role of policy credibility.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, L-E-O, 1996.
"Price Level Targeting vs Inflation Targeting : A free Lunch?,"
614, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1997. "Price Level Targeting vs. Inflation Targeting: A Free Lunch?," Seminar Papers 614, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1996. "Price Level Targeting vs. Inflation Targeting: A Free Lunch?," NBER Working Papers 5719, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dotsey, Michael & Ireland, Peter, 1996.
"The welfare cost of inflation in general equilibrium,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 29-47, February.
- Michael Dotsey & Peter N. Ireland, 1994. "The welfare cost of inflation in general equilibrium," Working Paper 94-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988.
"The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model,"
RCER Working Papers
155, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- David Andolfatto & Paul Gomme, 2001.
"Monetary policy regimes and beliefs,"
9905, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- David Andolfatto & Paul Gomme, 1997. "Monetary policy regimes and beliefs," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 118, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- David Andolfatto & Paul Gomme, 1997. "Monetary Policy Regimes and Beliefs," Working Papers 97002, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics, revised Jan 1997.
- David Andolfatto & Paul Gomme, 1997. "Monetary Policy Regimes and Beliefs," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 48, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal, revised Apr 2001.
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1988. "Production, growth and business cycles : I. The basic neoclassical model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 195-232.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier X. Sala-i-Martin, 1997.
"The Optimum Quantity of Money: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
5954, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier X. Sala-i-Martin & Frederic S. Mishkin & Jonas D. M. Fisher, 1997. "The optimum quantity of money: theory and evidence," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 687-724.
- Mulligan, Casey B & Sala-I-Martin, Xavier X, 1997. "The Optimum Quantity of Money: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(4), pages 687-715, November.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1997. "The optimum quantity of money: Theory and evidence," Economics Working Papers 229, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Cooley, Thomas F & Hansen, Gary D, 1991.
"The Welfare Costs of Moderate Inflations,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(3), pages 483-503, August.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr., 1994. "On the welfare cost of inflation," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 94-07, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Imrohoroglu, Ayse, 1992. "The welfare cost of inflation under imperfect insurance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 79-91, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:1998-007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.