Model uncertainty, state uncertainty, and state-space models
This technical paper considers ways to capture uncertainty in the context of so-called "state-space" models. ; State-space models are powerful tools commonly used in macroeconomics, international economics, and finance. State-space models can generate estimates of an underlying, ultimately unobserved variable—such as the natural rate of unemployment—based on the movements of other variables that are observed and have some relationship to the unobserved variable. The paper shows how several macroeconomic models can be mapped to the state-space framework, thus helping quantify uncertainty about the true model (model uncertainty) or about the amount of information available when decisions are made (state uncertainty).
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1 Memorial Drive, Kansas City, MO 64198-0001|
Phone: (816) 881-2254
Web page: http://www.kansascityfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aguiar, Mark & Gopinath, Gita, 2007. "Emerging Market Business Cycles: The Cycle is the Trend," Scholarly Articles 11988098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Yulei Luo, 2008.
"Consumption Dynamics under Information Processing Constraints,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(2), pages 366-385, April.
- Yulei Luo, 2005. "Consumption Dynamics under Information Processing Constraints," Macroeconomics 0505011, EconWPA, revised 03 Jun 2005.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent & Thomas D. Tallarini, 1999.
"Robust Permanent Income and Pricing,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 66(4), pages 873-907.
- Lars Hansen & Thomas Sargent & Thomas Tallarini, . "Robust Permanent Income and Pricing," GSIA Working Papers 1997-51, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent & Thomas D. Tallarini Jr., 1997. "Robust Permanent Income and Pricing," Levine's Working Paper Archive 596, David K. Levine.
- Yulei Luo & Eric R.Young & Jun Nie, 2011.
"Robust Control, Informational Frictions, and International Consumption Correlations,"
2011 Meeting Papers
209, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Luo, Yulei & Nie, Jun & Young, Eric R., 2014. "Robust control, informational frictions, and international consumption correlations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 1-27.
- Yulei Luo & Jun Nie & Eric R. Young, 2013. "Robust Control, Informational Frictions, and International Consumption Correlations," Working Papers 212013, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yulei Luo & Jun Nie & Eric R. Young, 2010. "Robust control, informational frictions, and international consumption correlations," Research Working Paper RWP 10-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Ricardo Reis, 2004.
NBER Working Papers
10883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yulei Luo & Jun Nie & Eric R. Young, 2012.
"Model uncertainty and intertemporal tax smoothing,"
Research Working Paper
RWP 12-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Yulei Luo & Jun Nie & Eric R. Young, 2010.
"Robustness, information-processing constraints, and the current account in small open economies,"
Research Working Paper
RWP 10-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Luo, Yulei & Nie, Jun & Young, Eric R., 2012. "Robustness, information–processing constraints, and the current account in small open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 104-120.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, December.
- Eric R. Young & Yulei Luo, 2008.
"Risk-sensitive Consumption and Savings under Rational Inattention,"
2008 Meeting Papers
64, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Yulei Luo & Eric R. Young, 2010. "Risk-Sensitive Consumption and Savings under Rational Inattention," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 281-325, October.
- Huang, Chao-Hsi & Lin, Kenneth S., 1993. "Deficits, government expenditures, and tax smoothing in the United States: 1929-1988," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 317-339, June.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-71, October.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J. & Wang, Neng E., 2002. "Robust Permanent Income And Pricing With Filtering," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 40-84, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedkrw:rwp12-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lu Dayrit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.