Industry-specific Exchange Rate Volatility and Intermediate Goods Trade in Asia
This paper empirically analyzes the effect of exchange rate volatility on intra-Asian trade of intermediate goods at an industry level by constructing a new dataset of the industry-specific bilateral real exchange rate. As the final processed exports are destined for countries outside the Asian region, both the exchange rate and world demand are considered as a possible driving force in the cross-border fragmentation and processing trade. It is found that, in contrast to the recent studies, the exchange rate impact on intra-regional trade differs across industries. The exchange rate volatility has negative and significant effects only on the general machinery industry and a part of the electric machinery industry with more differentiated products, even when taking into account the world's demand for the final processed exports. These findings are supported by various kinds of exchange rate volatility in the short- and long-run. Our empirical results suggest that the different impact of the exchange rate volatility across industries is tied to the characteristics of traded goods in respective industries.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kimura, Fukunari & Takahashi, Yuya & Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2007. "Fragmentation and parts and components trade: Comparison between East Asia and Europe," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 23-40, February.
- Franke, Gunter, 1991. "Exchange rate volatility and international trading strategy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 292-307, June.
- Ayako Obashi, 2008.
"Stability of Production Networks in East Asia: Duration and Survival of Trade,"
Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series
2008-002, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Obashi, Ayako, 2010. "Stability of production networks in East Asia: Duration and survival of trade," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 21-30, January.
- Ayako OBASHI, 2009. "Stability of Production Networks in East Asia: Duration and Survival of Trade," Working Papers d006, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Byrne, Joseph P. & Darby, Julia & MacDonald, Ronald, 2008.
"US trade and exchange rate volatility: A real sectoral bilateral analysis,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 238-259, March.
- Joseph P. Byrne & Julia Darby & Ronald MacDonald, 2006. "US Trade and Exchange Rate Volatility: A Real Sectoral Bilateral Analysis," Working Papers 2006_9, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Thorbecke, Willem, 2008.
"The effect of exchange rate volatility on fragmentation in East Asia: Evidence from the electronics industry,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 535-544, December.
- THORBECKE, Willem, 2008. "The Effect of Exchange Rate Volatility on Fragmentation in East Asia: Evidence from the Electronics Industry," Discussion papers 08016, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Myint Moe Chit & Marian Rizov & Dirk Willenbockel, 2010.
"Exchange Rate Volatility and Exports: New Empirical Evidence from the Emerging East Asian Economies,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 239-263, 02.
- Chit, Myint Moe & Rizov, Marian & Willenbockel, Dirk, 2008. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Exports: New Empirical Evidence from the Emerging East Asian Economies," MPRA Paper 9014, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kozo Kiyota & Shujiro Urata, 2004. "Exchange Rate, Exchange Rate Volatility and Foreign Direct Investment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(10), pages 1501-1536, November.
- Silvana Tenreyro, 2003.
"On the trade impact of nominal exchange rate volatility,"
03-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Tenreyro, Silvana, 2007. "On the trade impact of nominal exchange rate volatility," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 485-508, March.
- Kazunobu HAYAKAWA & Fukunari KIMURA, 2008.
"The Effect of Exchange Rate Volatility on International Trade in East Asia,"
d003, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu & Kimura, Fukunari, 2009. "The effect of exchange rate volatility on international trade in East Asia," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 395-406, December.
- Hooper, Peter & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1978. "The effect of exchange rate uncertainty on the prices and volume of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 483-511, November.
- Robert C. Feenstra & James R. Markusen & Andrew K. Rose, 2001. "Using the gravity equation to differentiate among alternative theories of trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(2), pages 430-447, May.
- Andrew K. Rose & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "National Money as a Barrier to International Trade: The Real Case for Currency Union," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 386-390, May.
- Peter B. Clark, 1973. "Uncertainty, Exchange Risk, And The Level Of International Trade," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 11(3), pages 302-313, 09.
- Udo Broll & Bernhard Eckwert, 1999. "Exchange Rate Volatility and International Trade," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 178-185, July.
- Myint Moe Chit, 2008. "Exchange rate volatility and exports: evidence from the ASEAN-China Free Trade Area," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 261-277.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Ando, Mitsuyo, 2005. "Two-dimensional fragmentation in East Asia: Conceptual framework and empirics," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 317-348.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:13031. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.