Efficiency and Productivity Growth in Indian Banking
This paper attempts to examine technical efficiency and productivity performance of Indian scheduled commercial banks, for the period 1979-2008. A model is constructed using multiple output/multiple input technology production frontier using semiparametric estimation methods. The endogenity of multiple outputs is addressed by semi parametric estimates in part by introducing multivariate kernel estimators for the joint distribution of the multiple outputs and correlated random effects. Output is measured as the rupee value of total loans and total investments at the end of the year. The estimates provide robust inferences of the productivity and efficiency gains due to economic reforms. [Working Paper No.199]. URL:[http://www.cdedse.org/]
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abhiman Das & Ashok Nag & Subhash Ray, 2004. "Liberalization, Ownership, and Efficiency in Indian Banking: A Nonparametric Approach," Working papers 2004-29, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-374, October.
- Benston, George J & Hanweck, Gerald A & Humphrey, David B, 1982.
"Scale Economies in Banking: A Restructuring and Reassessment,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 14(4), pages 435-456, November.
- George J. Benston & Gerald A. Hanweck & David B. Humphrey, 1981. "Scale economies in banking: a restructuring and reassessment," Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics 53, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Hanweck, Gerald A. & Humphrey, David B., 1987. "Competitive viability in banking : Scale, scope, and product mix economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 501-520, December.
- Allen N. Berger & Gerald A. Hanweck & David B. Humphrey, 1986. "Competitive viability in banking: scale, scope, and product mix economies," Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics 82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mamalakis, Markos J, 1987. "The Treatment of Interest and Financial Intermediaries in the National Accounts: The Old "Bundle" versus the New "Unbundle" Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 33(2), pages 169-192, June.
- K. R. Shanmugam & A. Das, 2004. "Efficiency of Indian commercial banks during the reform period," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(9), pages 681-686.
- Abhiman Das & K. R. Sanmugam, 2004. "Efficiency of Indian commercial banks during the reform period," Industrial Organization 0410005, EconWPA.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Sarkar, Subrata, 2003. " Deregulation, Ownership, and Productivity Growth in the Banking Industry: Evidence from India," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 403-424, June.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Lovell, C. A. K. & Sahay, Pankaj, 1997. "The impact of liberalization on the productive efficiency of Indian commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 332-345, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1992. "Measurement and Efficiency Issues in Commercial Banking," NBER Chapters, in: Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, pages 245-300 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1990. "Measurement and efficiency issues in commercial banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 151, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- H.P. Mahesh & Shashanka Bhide, 2008. "Do Financial Sector Reforms Make Commercial Banks More Efficient? A Parametric Exploration of the Indian Case," Margin: The Journal of Applied Economic Research, National Council of Applied Economic Research, vol. 2(4), pages 415-441, November.
- Hancock, Diana, 1985. "The Financial Firm: Production with Monetary and Nonmonetary Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 859-880, October.
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-1266, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:4359. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.